• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-82 and Chirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogersjoey6

For all those who know about Baofeng and Chirp and compatibility it can be a trick to figure out. I have programmed a UV-5R with it. But my question is can a UV-82 be programmed off of it? My 5 buck cable can not read the UV-82 but works fine on the UV-5R I have read that a 20 dollar cable works better than the one I have. But just wanted to make sure it would work before dropping 20 bucks.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I have the 2/220 version and chirp works fine, as does the cable for my UV-5r. Just make sure the plug is in all the way.

SCPD

QRT
For all those who know about Baofeng and Chirp and compatibility it can be a trick to figure out. I have programmed a UV-5R with it. But my question is can a UV-82 be programmed off of it? My 5 buck cable can not read the UV-82 but works fine on the UV-5R I have read that a 20 dollar cable works better than the one I have. But just wanted to make sure it would work before dropping 20 bucks.

You get what you pay for. The Baofeng radios seem picky on their cable, model specific. If you know the $20 works then buy it, those cheaper cables are hit and miss and save yourself time and money just buy the $20 if you know it will work.

Here is a good example. I lost the USB programming cable for my Wouxun KG-UPD1P and turned to e-bay for a new one. First one was DOA, sent it back for a refund. Found a second one but the driver disk did not have any drivers but it did have Baofeng programming software to program the Wouxun which I only program it with Chirp or the official Wouxon software. Found drivers online for the USB cable but these were not correct and even got the BSOD in Win8.1. While exploring the driver disk, there was a Motorola folder containing some older RSS for like the GP300, etc. The radios and RSS are long done but the RSS is still copyrighted by Motorola and should not have been on that disk. I was so ticked off that the seller refunded me without sending the cable back.

Radio City, a real live amateur radio store (known by fellow hams as "the candy store") located in a NE suburb of the metro are is a dealer for Wouxun radios and had the official programming cable for just a few more dollars then the ones on e-bay. With all of that buying and returning and time lost, saving a whole $5.00 was useless. I wish I knew this before trying to save a few lousy bucks buying on he web. The locally purchased cable works like a charm.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
2/220 UV-82. Chirp programs it just dandy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mm

I am using chirp version 20150118 and a 220/2 UV-82X which works fine.

There is a special method at Miklor which describes loading the proper usb driver for the UV-82/X under chirp, if your usb driver is not correct then the radio will not communicate with the software.

I followed this procedure and then I turned off windows Automatic updates because prior to this windows Auto update reset my usb drivers to a default driver which stopped chirp from communicating with my radio.

Cables & Drivers - Prolific & FTDI

UV82 - Miklor

Status
Not open for further replies.