• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng uv-82 scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVS

Hi, I am thinking of buying the Baofeng uf-82. I want to but it in the XYL'S car to use it as a police scanner. My question is after scanning and turning the radio off, and the next day turning it on again will it continue to scan? Or will the XYL have to push extra buttons to get it to scan?
Thank you
VVS

nd5y

Unless they changed the firmware recently no Baofengs will resume scanning when power cycled.

In case you didn't already know you have to press and hold the scan key to start scanning. Any key press (accidental or not) will stop scanning. The scan/search speed is too slow, they can't receive any digital mode or 700/800 MHz, there is no lockout or nuisance delete and there are other "features" that make them poor scanners.

mm

Additionally; the boefeng UV-82 model and it's siblings are v e r y s l o w s c a n n i n g r a d i o s.

You could actually miss 60-90% of a 1 minute transmission during scan.

Seriously these radios are very very slow scanners, get anything besides a chicom if you want to listen to more than 1 channel.

Bob1955

All Baofengs are COMPLETE GARBAGE. For a great price and if you don't need digital/trunking, I would go with a Bearcat BC-125 AT and it has been as low as $83 but Amazon.com keep upping the price on this handheld scanner. The digital starting model is the BCD-325P2, then you jump to a BCD-436HP and top out at the SDS-100 for the handhelds. I would call Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and ask for on Monday, maybe Tuesday due to holiday. He also has YouTube video's to educate yourself.
Hope this helps you and LISTEN to Doctordialtone.

reedeb

WELL Baofengs aren't garbage BUT they are not scanners. I monitor Dallas Fire and rescue and Dallas PD [my sector] with my UV5r. I also monitor Ham repeaters in Skywarn system in the area as well and have chatted a few times with other hams with it. Get a scanner and call it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.