• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-82, squelch tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a UV-82 and I keep getting a nasty squelch tail when I monitor a local public safety frequency. Their transmissions come through just fine but I get a pretty loud burst of static immediately after their transmission ends. What can I do to eliminate this? I've tried various STE and squelch settings but nothing seems to help. It also does it on ham frequencies but not quite as bad. None of my other "cheap" radios seem to do this.

It's a great little radio other than this flaw.

k8zgw

Static ?

Are you sure that what you are hearing is "static"?
On "my" local public safety system, there is a burst of data
after each transmission, which is the ID of the radio . . .

Don

mm

try playing with the settings in the OPTIONAL FEATURE list under WORK BAND.

I'm not sure what these do but TAIL NOISE CLEAR, PASS REPEAT NOISE are 2 menu items that may affect the squelch tail.

I f none of those settings work then try a higher level for the squelch settings default value of 3.

Last edited:
That didn't seem to change anything. Setting the squelch to 5 didn't change anything either.

I'll keep fiddling with the settings and see if I can figure it out.

DillonPenryn

I also have the UV- 82 and this SAME exact problem I talked to a friend of mine and he said exactly what K8ZGW said. I tried changing the frequency and even resetting the radio all together but still nothing! I've had it for less than a week and this kind of upsets me. I love the economical feel of it and that it has a little more of a tough build to it that the UV-5R, but still the whole static problem is a real bummer. Get back to me at my email if you find a way to get rid of this please!!
SchneiderPenryn@gmail.com

N6MGW

Your radio has a function labeled STE (Squelch Tail Eliminate) which is an on/off switch.

nd5y

STE on Baofeng radios is not compatible with normal industry standard CTCSS reverse burst.

Enabling STE on Baofeng and Wouxun (maybe other Chinese radios) causes the radio to send a 55 Hz tone for about 250 mS (1/4 second) when the radio unkeys. When the receiver detects a 55 Hz tone it mutes. the STE menu setting has no effect on the receiver. It responds to the 55 Hz tone all the time unless DCS decode is enabled.

On the UV-5R menus 36 RP-STE and 37 RPT-RL are non functional. I don't know if they are on the UV-82.

DCS squelch tail elimination on Baofeng and Wouxun is the same standard 134.4 Hz DCS turnoff code as used by other manufacturers and and should be compatible, but on my radios DCS STE doesn't always mute properly.

Last edited:

Otto

My UV-82 had an annoying squelch trail as well. But I noticed that if I added the appropriate receive CTCSS tone to the system I was listening to, the squelch trail seemed quite a bit diminished.
Also, since the worst squelch trails I have noticed where on Public Safety systems, I programmed them in a receive only channels via the Baofeng programming software available at the Miklor site.

YMMV, because there is also the chance that I just got used to the squelch trail noise.

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
Some radio systems around here seem drop the tone on the repeater half a second to 1 second before the repeater drops. That seems to mute the audio before the squelch tail happens

scanmanmi

Yes it's an old thread but it's a horrible problem. I just got my 82 and the squelch tail is so bad I can't keep this radio. I love it but it's got to go if I can find another quieter one. The receive is great and I am getting a little more than advertised power. I can hit repeaters I never dreamed I could. The scan is very slow. Are there any HTs with a better squelch tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.