• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-82

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiabloKing

Yes as long as your local Fire/EMS/Police are on analog range it will receive them. I use my UV-5R to listen to my local PD and Fire. As far as programing it pick up the programing cable from amazon and look up the program Chirp.

Edit: Just remember if they are on a trunking system this will not work and the scanning is terribly slow but if you park on police on one VFO and fire/ems on the other you'll be good.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
They do not run a trunking system. Are these simple to program? I am not interested in transmitting, only monitoring as a scanner.

DJ11DLN

Google search "CHIRP," it is a free download and much easier than manually programming the radio. You will need a cable. I think Kawamall and others sell these for under $10. You can set it to receive only. Chirp is not intuitive but play around with it for awhile and it will become clear how to do what you need.

VHF conventional analog, yes it will work as a scanner. Be aware that it will pick up a lot of interference from any other RF sources you are near. And the scan speed is dismal. You get what you pay for. But as I posted elsewhere today, for the price, it's difficult to get really down on these radios. Have fun!

pjtnascar

I use my cheap HT's to monitor local police and fire as well. As pointed out, they scan very slowly.They're cool because you have a rechargeable battery in them, but they do pick up interference. If you're looking for good scanning capabilities you can get a used analog scanner for the price of a Baofeng, but for just monitoring 2 freqs, you'll be fine. Just keep away from RF sources including your cell phone.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Some of those cheap China radios like the Baofeng I am told will not scan anything with a PL/CTCSS tone under 131.8? They can be weird, make sure you do a lot of googling on the radio you want before you pull the trigger, just to see if it has any weird issues.

If you are only scanning 4-5 channels, the slow scan speed won't be a huge deal, but if you put 20 in there, good luck, it's like watching the second digit change on a clock as each channel flips by slowly!

Paul

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Some of those cheap China radios like the Baofeng I am told will not scan anything with a PL/CTCSS tone under 131.8?

A bug in older version firmware. For receive only scanning, skip the tone/code anyway so you hear traffic no matter what tone/code is used.

DJ11DLN

A bug in older version firmware. For receive only scanning, skip the tone/code anyway so you hear traffic no matter what tone/code is used.

Which is fine until you start hearing DX or something else you don't want...but being a newer one it should cope fine. Mine are practically a year old and they don't have this issue. With 5 MURS (RX-only on all of this) in one and 2 local Skywarn repeaters in the other, using dual-watch on that one when there's storm activity, they work adequately. This leaves my scanners to do their normal thing when it's storming or when some of the local people are using MURS to chat or get work done and I want to listen in. Yes, they have limitations and there are bugs and quirks about them, but all in all, for the price (approximately 1 typical half-tank fill-up on my pickup apiece) I really can't complain about 'em.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Some of those cheap China radios like the Baofeng I am told will not scan anything with a PL/CTCSS tone under 131.8?l

The good news is that with the most recent Baofeng firmware versions, all receive CTCSS tones do work when scanning.

The bad news is that any on-frequency signal stops scanning (no CTCSS tone or DCS code needs to be present). This must be a workaround to allow more time for the CTCSS decoder to get a "lock" on the lower frequency tones. Reception of the correct CTCSS tone or DCS code is only used to enable the speaker audio.

Jim KC9HI

nd5y

The bad news is that any on-frequency signal stops scanning (no CTCSS tone or DCS code needs to be present). This must be a workaround to allow more time for the CTCSS decoder to get a "lock" on the lower frequency tones.
I think it is just another "feature" due to incompetent engineering. They never fixed that and other problems in later firmware versions of the UV-5R then they make a whole new board for the UV-82 and still can't do it right. I haven't heard if the UV-B5/6 are any better.

Last edited:

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I think it is just another "feature" due to incompetent engineering.

It seems as if the Baofeng "engineers" are not two-way radios users and the Baofeng useability/bug testers are their end users.

They never fixed that and other problems in later firmware versions of the UV-5R then they make a whole new board for the UV-82 and still can't do it right.

Sure they've fixed problems in later firmware versions of the UV-5R.

BFB238 fixed the key order for sending DTMF A, B, C and D
BFB281 fixed the interference issue that the TDR setting caused with accessing "reverse mode" and temporarily toggling between High and Low power.

The scanning of the lower frequency CTCSS tones is "fixed" in the unreleased UV-5R variant that I tested it on this morning. I'm in the process of trying to determine which UV-5R firmware version actually brought about this change.

I do agree that what was done for this scanning issue wasn't the "right" way to fix it.

I haven't heard if the UV-B5/6 are any better.

It definitely has a more selective receiver. Some owners think they are really great. I'm not impressed with mine. I can make a pretty long list of the bugs that it has and the other things that I personally don't like about it.

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.