• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng UV-82hp issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjeckell

I just bought this radio and I am having a little difficulty. I have searched the internet for several hours and can not come up with a fix. Here is the problem. I have come from a long time user of the wouxon and while I’m in memory mode, I am able to edit the ctcss (tone) associated with that channel. With the UV-82hp I change the tone and hit menu and it says confirm but does not change the tone. This is confirmed by going back into the menu and seeing the change did not take place. From what I can gather from my research so far, my only option for changing the tone would be to go into VFO mode delete the entire channel and then add all rx, tx, tone, and any other settings for that channel. What a pain. Am I missing something? The reason I need to change tones easily is for multiple tones utilizing one repeated pair. For example forest net repeater uses different tones for each mountain top. Any help would be great. Thanks

nd5y

From what I can gather from my research so far, my only option for changing the tone would be to go into VFO mode delete the entire channel and then add all rx, tx, tone, and any other settings for that channel. What a pain. Am I missing something?
No. That's how the radio was designed. There is nothing you can do about it.
You can only overwrite the transmit frequency and tone in an existing memory channel.

mjeckell

Can you explain the steps to only overwrite the transmit frequency and tone in an existing memory channel.

nd5y

Can you explain the steps to only overwrite the transmit frequency and tone in an existing memory channel.
It's the same as programming a repeater channel.
Go to VFO mode.
Enter the receive frequency and receive tone then save it to the memory.
Enter the transmit frequency and transmit tone and save it to the same memory.

You can only save the receive settings once. If you try to write something to an existing memory channel it will only change the transmit settings. If you have the VFO set up with an offset and shift direction it will ignore that and use the current VFO receive frequency as the new transmit frequency and whatever transmit tone is set.

That should be in the manual or the programming instructions on miklor.com.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Is there any reason why you don't want to use CHIRP with an appropriate cable to program the radio? Baofengs are a pain to program manually. CHIRP works pretty well with some caveats, but is better than doing it by hand.

mjeckell

I use chirp for the initial programming but I work for the fire service. I have programmed in nifc cmd channels and forest net repeater channels. I use the radio for testing purposes only. But switching tones needs to be quick and easy.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Could you use CHIRP to program all of the repeater TX/RX frequencies and PL tone combinations as a separate memory channel for each mountaintop repeater? You could then label each with the name of the mountaintop. It seems easier to change channels to access a mountaintop repeater than to try and change the PL tone.

mjeckell

Yes that is an option. However you are limited to 128 channels. That would be a lot of channels to input but yes that would make it easier when testing

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Considering the alpha tags and numbers of channels available on most radios these days, I much prefer programming many channels once and then simply spinning the dial to find what I'm looking for, as opposed to remembering details like frequencies and tones and keystroke sequences in order to program things on the fly.

mjeckell

In my situation I loaded one channel ANF for Angeles National Forest. There are approximately 17 forests in the state of ca. I am only therefore taking up 17 channels. If I were to make a channel each separate tone and there are probably on average 5 to 6 per forest, that would be 102 channels. That’s why easy tone selection is a handy tool. Saves space for other channels to be programmed

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I know I'm going to regret posting here.
First a few points about Baofengs:
1. They are not type accepted for ANY public safety frequency.
2. The have terrible receivers that easily overload and desense.
3. They do no meet even minimum standards for spectral purity on transmit.
4. No public safety agency should use them EVER.

Every major incident has a comm plan. There is no guess work about frequencies and tones. It may change, but there is always a plan.
Professional radios are pre-programmed for all needed channels.

What exactly are you trying to do? Don't they give you a radio?

Forgive me, but some of your questions don't make sense for someone involved in incident management.

mjeckell

I knew that someone would post a message like this. As I have mentioned in an earlier post that it was for testing purposes only. It’s not my main radio. I was apprehensive to divulge information because I knew eventually someone would say something. I carry nifc approved radios KNG2-CMD as well as GPH-cmd. This topic really took a tangent and I apologize for that.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I knew that someone would post a message like this. As I have mentioned in an earlier post that it was for testing purposes only. It’s not my main radio. I was apprehensive to divulge information because I knew eventually someone would say something. I carry nifc approved radios KNG2-CMD as well as GPH-cmd. This topic really took a tangent and I apologize for that.
I said I might regret that post. I'm sorry if the thread went off on a tangent. That hardly ever happens on radio reference:cool:

Seriously a good scanner would be a better bet. Will probably outperform the Baofeng, scan faster and be more field programable. Not to mention the ability to easily lock out channels, create banks etc. In the near future USFS will start using P25 which the Baofeng can't receive. Close call capabilities might be useful too.

scanmanmi

I had two radios I thought were broke. Problem was Chirp. It recognized them as some for of UV5. The factory program works great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.