• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-82HP Would Not Save To Memory Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtorella

Premium Subscriber
Recently purchased a Baofeng UV-82HP dual band HT. I own an older Yaesu 530 + 50R. Both are the old style manual programing only, so I had a head start on the Baofeng. Here are some tips I discovered along the way with manual programming the UV-82HP. There are several youtube videos on how to manually program but I created my own easy way.

Here are the steps:

1. Make sure you are in frequency mode n VFO A
2. Turn off Dual Watch #7
3. Program RECEIVE frequency into VFO A
4. Code Squelch # 13 if needed
5. Freq Step # 01 (you can set default for 2M + 70cm 440 bands.
6. Simplex or Freq Step (repeater) # 25 - Simplex - or +
7. Output Power Setting #02 Low 1w, Med 5w, High 7w 2meter or 6w 440 band
8. Save to memory channel #27 then select channel number. If you see a CC before a channel number, that one is taken. Channels with only 3 digit number (no CC) are available. If you want to OVERWRITE an existing channel, go to Menu #28 and delete that channel. I keep the voice command turned ON along with key press beeps for confirmation. The voice is helpful with voice confirmations as well. Ok, now go back to menu #27 and save to that channel again (if you removed one)
9. Next step, with all setting correct, key the radio with your HAM id for a signal check. If you receive a confirmation back, all is set to save to memory
10. This is the important step if programming a freq with an offset. For example, I programmed 147.100 as the receive, with a + offset of .06. Including a PL Tone of 100.0, all worked and Ham reported loud and clear. So I saved it to a memory channel. Then I turned off radio, held menu button and turned back on to to go Channel mode. Keyed the new freq channel but did not work. This is where the IMPORTANT manual program step WAS MISSED!. Go back to VFO A where your original channel and settings are saved. Re-enter the TRANSMIT frequency and verify the same offsets, power, PL tones are still the same. Now SAVE this to the SAME channel number as you previously did. Do not delete using #28. This radio has 2 steps in saving a separate trans/receive in order to work in Channel mode.

I made a cheat sheet with the steps and menu numbers on an index card, stuck it in my wallet for when on the road. It is attached to this post in PDF and Text formats. You can save, print and keep it handy.

Ran into a small problem saving one memory channel though!

Was in VFO A, on NOAA 162.400 receive. Radio would not write to a memory channel! BaofengTech support said the radio saves any receive freq to memory. Mine would not and I even did a factory reset to defaults. Would save 162.395 + 162.405 fine, 162.400 would not! BaofengTech support suggested removal of antenna first on strong signals. I removed antenna and 162.400 saved to memory!! Not in the manual but if programming in VFO A and everything works on checks, REMOVE the antenna if the channel is broadcasting, or it might not save to memory. This is another reason I leave the voice command turned on. When I hear a voice saying what steps I am taking, that helps in knowing! Also when it writes to a memory channel, the voice will indicate success! Hope this helps

Attachments

• Baofeng UV-82HP Manual Programming My Steps.pdf
    10.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Baofeng UV-82HP Manual Programming My Steps.txt
    568 bytes · Views: 263

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to eliminate step 3 by setting the transmit frequency at the same time you set the receive frequency.

rtorella

Premium Subscriber
Bill,

I have seen a few videos and also Baofeng said that the freqs need to be saved on top of one another. In VFO mode, the radio will transmit to whatever offset is selected. My understanding is that it will not save both frequencies, trans + receive from VFO to memory in one action. What tip do you have to avoid that one step in my cheat sheet that will have both freqs save to memory channel first time??

Thx....

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
They are saved to different fields in the radio's memory. They are not "on top of each other" as that simply would not work. However, I misremembered the FPP sequence. You are completely correct in that you must save all except the transmit frequency, and then set and save the transmit frequency to the same channel number.

This is a very strange way that BaoFeng has implemented repeater split frequencies. Virtually every other ham radio I've ever programmed will simply calculate the transmit frequency dynamically based on the offset programmed.

While in VFO FPP mode supplying the offset is enough, apparently the unit is incapable of doing real-time calculations, so it is necessary to program the exact transmit frequency into memory for use during "Channel Mode" operations or scanning.

I use CHIRP for all my programming needs since I typically need to keep a dozen HTs programmed identically. I rarely have ever needed to rely on FPP for memory programming, but do occasionally need to use FPP for a temporary frequency entry.

rtorella

Premium Subscriber
Agreed on other HT manual programming. My old Yaesu FT-530 & FT-50R are both manual programming. They work basically the same as the Baofeng. Except they save all settings to memory in one move. No big deal with the Baofeng though, all in the price.

I did program another repeater into the Baofeng and after tinkering, found an easy way to program the Transmit freq after saving tgeh Receive into memory. Attached a revised cheat sheet for anyone who struggles with manual programming.

I have the CHIRP software but have not used it as of yet. With having my old rigs, I am used to manual programming anyway.

Here is the revision......

Follow all steps in VFO A as on the cheat sheet. After successful contact and signal report, save to a memory channel.

Now press the * (star button) and the display will change to the transmit frequency.

Press menu #27 to save to a memory and press menu again for confirmation.

I always write down the channel number I saved to first. For example, saved to channel 001 the first time.
After pressing the star key for transmit freq, then Menu #27 to save, up/down arrow to SAME channel that you wrote down. It will say CCC-000 as an already taken channel. That is expected in this case, to select it and press menu.

That has saved the transmit info into the same memory channel as the receive previously saved.

See attached revised cheat cheats (same name though)

Attachments

• Baofeng UV-82HP Manual Programming My Steps.pdf
    10.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Baofeng UV-82HP Manual Programming My Steps.txt
    1 KB · Views: 206

KD4TNP

Premium Subscriber
This Worked!

Ran into a small problem saving one memory channel though!

Was in VFO A, on NOAA 162.400 receive. Radio would not write to a memory channel! BaofengTech support said the radio saves any receive freq to memory. Mine would not and I even did a factory reset to defaults. Would save 162.395 + 162.405 fine, 162.400 would not! BaofengTech support suggested removal of antenna first on strong signals. I removed antenna and 162.400 saved to memory!! Not in the manual but if programming in VFO A and everything works on checks, REMOVE the antenna if the channel is broadcasting, or it might not save to memory. This is another reason I leave the voice command turned on. When I hear a voice saying what steps I am taking, that helps in knowing! Also when it writes to a memory channel, the voice will indicate success! Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip about the Antenna!!! It did the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.