• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-B5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MzDemoness

Have any of you actually used this radio in the mountains between your base camp and a team out and about? What I do know is they are not very rugged and can easily break if not treated with a silk glove. I like radios to have at least Mil-Spec 810 for shock, water and dust. These; however, do not. They are only 40 bucks and make a great radio for kids to play in the MURS with. Might make a good all around SHTF radio and nice to have 4 or 5 packed away.

KM4WLV

Have any of you actually used this radio in the mountains between your base camp and a team out and about? What I do know is they are not very rugged and can easily break if not treated with a silk glove. I like radios to have at least Mil-Spec 810 for shock, water and dust. These; however, do not. They are only 40 bucks and make a great radio for kids to play in the MURS with. Might make a good all around SHTF radio and nice to have 4 or 5 packed away.

I work in the mountains of North Carolina and hike about once a week. The B5 goes with me and it's taken the beating I've given it and still works like a champ. Once at the top of the mountain we hike I'm able to hit repeaters in Charlotte, NC which is better than 70 miles from where I'm at.

MzDemoness

I work in the mountains of North Carolina and hike about once a week. The B5 goes with me and it's taken the beating I've given it and still works like a champ. Once at the top of the mountain we hike I'm able to hit repeaters in Charlotte, NC which is better than 70 miles from where I'm at.
I'm not talking about trying to hit repeaters from the top of mountains. I am talking about actually communicating with a base camp while you are out scouting the area. Repeaters might not always be there or be available. I bought a UV5R for my son to practice on and I was pretty disappointed. He dropped it twice and the LCD broke and burned out. So, I bought him another one and it's been less than a month and the writing on the buttons is smearing off and it simply does not get very good range in urban areas. I want radios for practicality, not talking to people on repeaters that might not always be there. I might just spend a bit more and get him a real mil spec radio from Icom or what not. I haven't decided. The baofengs are not IPX7 either and where I live it rains all the time and we have lots of rivers, streams, lakes and water sources all over the place. Regardless, I think I will get one and put it to the test, but don't be surprised if it fails like the other ones have.

JustLou

I'm not talking about trying to hit repeaters from the top of mountains. I am talking about actually communicating with a base camp while you are out scouting the area. Repeaters might not always be there or be available. I bought a UV5R for my son to practice on and I was pretty disappointed. He dropped it twice and the LCD broke and burned out. So, I bought him another one and it's been less than a month and the writing on the buttons is smearing off and it simply does not get very good range in urban areas. I want radios for practicality, not talking to people on repeaters that might not always be there. I might just spend a bit more and get him a real mil spec radio from Icom or what not. I haven't decided. The baofengs are not IPX7 either and where I live it rains all the time and we have lots of rivers, streams, lakes and water sources all over the place. Regardless, I think I will get one and put it to the test, but don't be surprised if it fails like the other ones have.

I have the B5 and 5R. They are incredible radios for the price, but they are not ideal for harsh environments. They are not rugged at all, and made of mostly plastic. I wouldn't expect them to stand up to water or a drop.

WB4CS

When it comes to radios, you usually get what you pay for. The $50 Cheap-Chinese radios are good for getting on the air, but they're not designed to be treated rough (IE: Kids). I'm surprised they are Part 90 Certified, since they are not only marketed as amateur radio, but also to fire and police departments. (Read: They're also not FCC Part 95 certified for MURS, GMRS, or FRS.)

If you're looking for durability and a radio that can be dropped, kicked, thrown around, etc, you'd probably be best off with a more expensive commercial radio such as a Motorola.

If you do get your amateur radio license, many of the amateur radio's from Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom are pretty durable radios. I've had my Kenwood HT for a few years now and it has survived pavement drops, rain storms, and being left outside in the cold.

Also, welcome to Radio Reference forums!

MzDemoness

When it comes to radios, you usually get what you pay for. The $50 Cheap-Chinese radios are good for getting on the air, but they're not designed to be treated rough (IE: Kids). I'm surprised they are Part 90 Certified, since they are not only marketed as amateur radio, but also to fire and police departments. (Read: They're also not FCC Part 95 certified for MURS, GMRS, or FRS.)

If you're looking for durability and a radio that can be dropped, kicked, thrown around, etc, you'd probably be best off with a more expensive commercial radio such as a Motorola.

If you do get your amateur radio license, many of the amateur radio's from Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom are pretty durable radios. I've had my Kenwood HT for a few years now and it has survived pavement drops, rain storms, and being left outside in the cold.

Also, welcome to Radio Reference forums!
I have mostly Icom's for me, but wanted something cheap to train my 8 year old on. So far I've had to put almost 100 bucks into cheap radios for him to practice with when I could have spent 250 and got him a mil spec Icom like the ones I use. I've dropped my Icoms in a stream and it still has nothing wrong with it. I dropped it off a short cliff that was about 25 feet down, but it landed in a big soft moss pile. I've dropped it on the concrete more times than I can remember but being mil spec for shock it tends to work in my favor. Icom is simply my brand I guess. I've used some other HTs but didn't really like them all that much. What I hate about the Icoms is the LCD screen is always so freakin small.

mrstangblb

I am using it occasionally. I'm more on HF, though. The Yahoo group for Baofengs might be really helpful.

------------

Barry

Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16

KD0WWY

Barry, I have gone to that forum and found it difficult to navigate (too hypertext...). I was a ham back in the 80's but let it drop in the 90's. I am now back and trying to get started and catch up to the new technologies. I have NO equipment other than this UV-B5, and am having a lot of trouble with the Chinese English in the manual, etc.

I am looking for very basic help like how to program the tones for repeater access into it. When I was a ham before we didn't use those and I can't figure out what the Chinese call it in their menus.

As a mater of fact the only signal I have ever heard from this unit is the FM! I'm not even sure it works at all.And I am very frustrated with it. It's probably pretty simple, just not seeing it.

I am a technology expert in another field, and that makes this all the more frustrating.

What I am asking for from you or anyone else here that uses this unit that is willing to help is to be a short term Elmer to get me going on this one. I need to make sure it even works pretty soon as I have just a few more days to return it if it is actually a damaged unit. I would be willing to give out a phone number to actually work on this over this weekend if someone is willing to help.

(By the way, looks like we have more in common than Ham.... Eph. 6:12-13...

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

KD0WWY (Wes)

mygyro

Hi, Josh

First-time poster. I live 2 hours drive from you, a little west of Augusta, Georgia (town called Washington). Studying for Ham exams...may take multiple levels at once, depending on how the study goes. :)

I saw your offer to Barry, to share a program for setting up alphanumerics. I bought UV-B5's for my wife and I, to be used after we pass our tests. I was wondering if you might consider sharing your program one more time? If so, my email is mygyro@yahoo.com. If not, no worries! But I thought it would be worth asking.

Thanks,

Jim

rescuecomm

Part 90 certification appears to be more paperwork and easily met specifications than any durability ratings. Also, one may need to lock out the FPP capability to comply.

Sure! Dual Band Public safety..Let's see - APX 7000, Thales Liberty, or Harris XG100 for a good down payment on a new car. $7,000.00??

Baofeng UV-5 is good deal for the money. A better case and sealing would make it an excellent radio. It won't happen because the market targeted is for cheap and small.

I carry one in the backcountry because I can use the Kenwood dual band in the truck as a mobile repeater.
Setting it up as a full crossband might let some blowhards run my truck battery down. So the Icom F3061 stays home.

jhall1520

I have a question about the UV-B5. I recently bought 3 of these little dudes. The problem I have run into is, I cannot get them to transmit for the frequency 159.892. Is there something i can do that will allow them to do so? This is the only channel i actually Needed them for!!! Any help would be appreciated!!!

nd5y

Are you trying to program it with the keypad or with software?
That isn't a valid frequency. It should probably be 159.8925.
Make sure the radio is set to 2.5 kHz steps then try entering 159.890 and then press the up arrow.
If that doesn't work then maybe that radio is not capable of 2.5 kHz steps. If that is the case then you will not be able to program that frequency.

This page should have all the information you need Baofeng UV-B5 UV-B6 Baofeng UVB5 UVB6

jhall1520

Your Correct, The actual frequency is 159.8925 The radio stops at 5 kHz Steps... I was hoping there was a way or a setting that would allow me to change that...

KD8DVR

Your Correct, The actual frequency is 159.8925 The radio stops at 5 kHz Steps... I was hoping there was a way or a setting that would allow me to change that...

Have you tried software to plug it in? Some radios will do the steps; but won't let you do it manually.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
The UV-B5 won't do the 2.5kHz steps. It's also not type accepted for Part 90, making it illegal for use on commercial or public safety frequencies to transmit.

That said, I just bought one on Amazon for $38 shipped and it seems like a cool little radio. I'll be keeping it on my desk at work for 2m/440 ham use.

ffemt1374

Premium Subscriber
bafeng uvb5 radio

I have a question that somebody may be able to answer I got my radio programmed can receive just fine and when I transmit I can hear it on my pager but my dispatch center can not hear me what can be wrong

Nige1912

Problems.....

Hi guys - I just picked up a Baofeng UV-B5 for use during airsoft games on the Pmr 446 channels - and think I have bitten off more than I can chew..... I am finding it very difficult, being a non radio ham, to get it to work and am unable to understand all the differences regarding umpteen frequency settings, "repeaters" (whatever they are!) etc.

Would anyone be kind enough to walk me through setting up to my local repeater for East Lancashire England (BB9 postcodes) and also setting the radio up for use on the UK PMR 446 frequencies please?

Many thanks everyone - hope to hear from some kind soul before I go completely doolally!!!!!!

Nige near Burnley in England

Status
Not open for further replies.