• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng uv5r squelch issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgeneral

HEY, squelch to 0 and see green trans light from repeater (can hear if I hold moni button) but other than that no sound when other is tx from repeater. they hear me , my radio hears them, i can hear only when moni button is depressed. squelch at 0 or 9... this happened after up;oading a few feqs to it via cable and comp program all numbers and tones there are correct... please help. just got my call sign and wanna ham it up.

first contact was made with above conditions, prior to using cable and pc I could listen fine... thx in adv

KM4ZWH
Baoefeng UV-5R
Uniden 396xlt

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
It could be that you've programed a CTCSS tone on the receive frequency. If that's the case, the squelch won't break until the correct tone is received from the repeater.

If you have the wrong tone programed, or you have any tone at all programed and the repeater isn't set up to send a CTCSS tone, then the squelch will never open.

Find out if your repeater is sending a CTCSS tone. If so, make sure you have the right one programed. If not, make sure you don't have a tone programed in your radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Do you have your radio set for tone or tone squelch?

If you have it set to tone, the radio will TX the specified tone, but any sufficiently strong carrier will break squelch.

If you have it set to tone squelch, the radio will broadcast the specified tone, and only the specified tone will break squelch on incoming transmissions. So if your tone is set to 151.4Hz, it doesn't matter how strong the carrier is, if it doesn't have a 151.4Hz tone, squelch will not open.

zgeneral

Do you have your radio set for tone or tone squelch?

If you have it set to tone, the radio will TX the specified tone, but any sufficiently strong carrier will break squelch.

If you have it set to tone squelch, the radio will broadcast the specified tone, and only the specified tone will break squelch on incoming transmissions. So if your tone is set to 151.4Hz, it doesn't matter how strong the carrier is, if it doesn't have a 151.4Hz tone, squelch will not open.

could you please elaborate a smidgen? thank you, tried last repliers steps all check out

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
input tone 127.3 output off.... so if I hit tx they hear me so that tone is correct? correct?

OK.. If they hear you, then you have the correct tone on your TX frequency. If the repeater doesn't have a tone on the output, then you shouldn't have a receive tone programed on your radio.

Actually even if it does have a tone on the output, you don't need to program a receive tone. I generally don't program any receive tones on my radios.

What software are you using to program?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
could you please elaborate a smidgen? thank you, tried last repliers steps all check out

In CHIRP (which you should be using rather than the factory crapware to program the radio) if you put the tone value in the Tone column, it should show "Tone" in the Tone Mode column. You will TX the tone, but any carrier will break squelch.

If you put the tone value in the "ToneSql" column, it will show "TSQL" in the Tone Mode column, you will TX the specified tone, and only carriers with the specified tone will break squelch.

KD8DVR

input tone 127.3 output off.... so if I hit tx they hear me so that tone is correct? correct?
Yes sir....if the repeater requires the 127.3 tone. You set it to the tone the repeater needs. Each repeater can be different.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Good suggestions above. Also, if you're programming manually and/or changing something (ie: PL) you must do it in VFO then delete the channel you want to put it in, then save it to that channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.