• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng UVR ham radio issues with repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

aboyz

I'm new to ham radio. i brought two from amazon to try out. I went to repeaterbook.com and got some repeater around my area. the band i use are 2meter. Anway. I can talk to each other on both radio. But trying to tune in to a repeater , I cannot hear the voice. When i press the talk button, I can hear it from the other radio a signal is coming in. When i talk on it. On the other radio i just hear a beep and some static noise. Why is the voice not transmitting.

Attached is frequency I am using. Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance for any info.

Attachments

• 4-11-2020 6-21-13 PM.png
    4-11-2020 6-21-13 PM.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 13

wowologist

Certifiable
Well first you should shut off the OTHER Baofeng or switch it to the UHF side. If you then key up (with your callsign, ie: w5xyz testing or monitoring if you actaully want someone to respond back to you) you should at that point hear whats called a "tail" which is the repeater circuit keeping the TrX open for someone to respond without another relay cycle (these are user selectable by the repeater admin or even an end of transmission beep..which are horrible but thats another subject) If you dont hear anything one or more of many things may be happening...you might not be making the trip to the repeater, you may have the offset -/+ wrong etc. You never want to really use another radio to listen to yourself...as this is considering broadcasting and as an amatuer op you already know that's a no no.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
what do ou mean by desensing the other radio?

Because there is no real front end filtering, it means that the transmitting radio is overloading the front end of the receiving radio, causing to not receive the much weaker signal from the repeater.

Well first you should shut off the OTHER Baofeng or switch it to the UHF side. If you then key up (with your callsign, ie: w5xyz testing or monitoring if you actaully want someone to respond back to you) you should at that point hear whats called a "tail" which is the repeater circuit keeping the TrX open for someone to respond without another relay cycle (these are user selectable by the repeater admin or even an end of transmission beep..which are horrible but thats another subject) If you dont hear anything one or more of many things may be happening...you might not be making the trip to the repeater, you may have the offset -/+ wrong etc.

Huh?!?!

RFI-EMI-GUY

You are likely desensing the other radio when you transmit.

There was a thread here just a couple weeks ago a TYT and BaoFeng desensing each other on high power even though they were 1.3 mile apart. If true, these Chinese radios are not useful for what they are being sold for.

(The warranty of merchantability is implied, unless expressly disclaimed by name, or the sale is identified with the phrase "as is" or "with all faults". To be "merchantable", the goods must reasonably conform to an ordinary buyer's expectations, i.e., they are what they say they are. )

nd5y

Baofeng has menu "features" that can prevent you from hearing the repeater hang time for several seconds (or not hearing it at all) depending on how you programmed the radio and how long the repeater hang time is.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I'm new to ham radio. i brought two from amazon to try out. I went to repeaterbook.com and got some repeater around my area. the band i use are 2meter. Anway. I can talk to each other on both radio. But trying to tune in to a repeater , I cannot hear the voice. When i press the talk button, I can hear it from the other radio a signal is coming in. When i talk on it. On the other radio i just hear a beep and some static noise. Why is the voice not transmitting.

Attached is frequency I am using. Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance for any info.

NOT enough data here to diagnose the problem.

Your RR id says you are a newbie,

I don't know the level of your knowledge,
so I am going to have you go thru simple checks of the radio.

Go to my webpage "How repeaters work"
HTTP:\\AI80 HOW REPEATERS WORK
LOOK at figure #5

Check the easy things first.

Is the antenna attached correctly?

1)<I can talk to each other on both radio.>
So you know the radio is receiving.

2) <But trying to tune in to a repeater , I cannot hear the voice>
What voice? your voice or the repeater voice IDer?

3)<You say the second radio is hearing the first radio when you xmit.>
Are you hearing the repeater or are you hearing the first radio direct?

Test the radio.
Do you hear a repeater KERCHUNK, when you press and release the xmit button on your radio?

If you do NOT hear a KERCHUNK:

4) Check is the first radio programmed radio in semi-duplex mode?
146.61 RCV/ 146.01 XMIT.
If NOT program the radio in semi duplex mode.
<test again>
Do you hear a repeater KERCHUNK, when you press and release the xmit button on your radio?

Next, Check CTCSS (also known as PL).
There are four options here:

--(CSQ) NO CTCSS,
only the carrier squelch on your radio is used.

--(TONE) CTCSS tone out a CTCSS tone is transmitted by your radio to access the repeater

--(TQSL) a CTCSS tone is transmitted by your radio to access the repeater, and SAME CTCSS
and the same CTCSS tone is transmitted by the repeater when you key it.
If (TQSL) is enabled and CTCSS is Not transmiited or the wrong CTCSS tone is transmiited by the repeater, your radio will not open the audio circuit

--CTCSS tone OUT and different tone IN
a CTCSS tone is transmitted by your radio to access the repeater,
and a DIFFERENT CTCSS tone is transmitted by the repeater when you key it.
If (TQSL) is enabled and the wrong CTCSS tone is transmitted by the repeater, your radio will not open the audio circuit

5) The repeater CTCSS tone is lited as 103.5.
Do you have the CTCSS tone (TONE) enabled?

6) from the listing you shared it appears that the repeater does NOT have CTCSS.
Do you have CTCSS tone receive (TQSL )enabled?

Make sure the correct CTCSS configurationis enbled.

Test the radio.

If you do NOT hear a KERCHUNK:

Check:

Is the repeater operating?
Are you in range of the repeater?

Last edited:

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Desense is when your radio becomes less sensitive when nearby transmiters are transmiting. It depends on how close you are to the transmitter and how much power they are using and how poor your receiver front end is.
bb

Status
Not open for further replies.