• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofengs Being Labeled as "Scanners" on Offerup & Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

Its amazing how many posts are up on Offerup & Ebay with Baofengs being sold as "scanners", listed for sometimes over $100 (though most of the time $50-75)
While using these services is a buyer-beware situation, it's crazy to me just how many there are of these listings, and how they're often so deceitful.
Of course, people need to do their due diligence before buying, but I can't imagine how many people may have purchased these for their husbands/spouses/dads, thinking they are getting them a nice little scanner for a good price.
I know, technically, anything that receives radio signals can be a "Scanner", but I think its safe to say that theyre purposely mislabeling the product to receive a wider audience/higher price point. Im surprised these listing last so long, too (many are up for 6months - a year).

Any way, to anyone browsing this forum who is just beginning, or just curious, be careful and make sure to do your research

ScubaJungle

That's been going on for years!
Oh I'm sure, probably since Baofengs became popular I would guess.

I just find it even more disturbing that there seems to be a wave of them becoming available right now, for ridiculous prices, which I can only assume is to take advantage of people wanting to know what's going on during COVID19.

This one is from 3 days ago - and I suppose it is possible that their local PD IS monitorable/on analog VHF/UHF, but I find it hard to believe they dont know that most agencies are digital or going digital. Especially since they dont even put a disclaimer, like, "please research your local agency and if this radio is compatible"

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Any way, to anyone browsing this forum who is just beginning, or just curious, be careful and make sure to do your research

Stupid people and their money are soon parted. I don't have a lot of compassion for people that buy things they don't understand. I get what you are saying, but if e-Bay suddenly fixed that, people would just find another way to scam others. The solution is education, but some feel it's too expensive.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There is a place to report problems like this to ebay. I have been able to get a couple of sellers removed for deceptive practices. I have had sellers respond to my questions, and they usually don't have a clue what I am asking or trying to tell them.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
These forums are full of questions about why a Baofeng can't hear local public safety transmissions (digital, 700/800Mhz etc) or why can it not hear aircraft etc. The scary ones are the people who want to use them as marine radios and, my favorite, use by ski patrol and volunteer fire departments. This is a sad commentary of the lack of knowledge by consumers and the despicable claims of those who market the radios.

They are called in these forums beginner or starter radios. Given the difficulties in programming them and the general poor quality, they should not be used by beginners (or anyone else). Spend a few extra dollars and get a real radio.

I was in Tokyo a couple of years ago and visited four radio stores. When asked about Baofeng one man threw up his hands and said, "No no no, not legal in Japan - we do not sell them." It is not legal to sell radios that transmit outside ham radio bands. They do have a 900MHz type of FRS radio, however.

ScubaJungle

Stupid people and their money are soon parted. I don't have a lot of compassion for people that buy things they don't understand. I get what you are saying, but if e-Bay suddenly fixed that, people would just find another way to scam others. The solution is education, but some feel it's too expensive.
I agree - although in some cases, like gifts, I would say it's a different story. Generally, I agree that if someone is so ignorant as to not do any research, then it's on them for giving their money away so haphazardly. At the same time, though, it doesnt mean that people that are deceptive like this shouldn't be accountable. It definitely goes both ways. Unfortunately, there are many people who have no critical thinking skills and don't question a thing they see or hear

There is a place to report problems like this to ebay. I have been able to get a couple of sellers removed for deceptive practices. I have had sellers respond to my questions, and they usually don't have a clue what I am asking or trying to tell them.
Yes, there definitely is - although I usually keep myself out of things that Im not directly involved in, there have been a few cases that I have reported people that seemed really deceptive. Im not sure how proactive these companies are at enforcing it though.

These forums are full of questions about why a Baofeng can't hear local public safety transmissions (digital, 700/800Mhz etc) or why can it not hear aircraft etc. The scary ones are the people who want to use them as marine radios and, my favorite, use by ski patrol and volunteer fire departments. This is a sad commentary of the lack of knowledge by consumers and the despicable claims of those who market the radios.

They are called in these forums beginner or starter radios. Given the difficulties in programming them and the general poor quality, they should not be used by beginners (or anyone else). Spend a few extra dollars and get a real radio.

I was in Tokyo a couple of years ago and visited four radio stores. When asked about Baofeng one man threw up his hands and said, "No no no, not legal in Japan - we do not sell them." It is not legal to sell radios that transmit outside ham radio bands. They do have a 900MHz type of FRS radio, however.
Yeah, in cases where someone is trying to use these "professionally" or for serious situations, then I think there's a lot of ignorance and lack of research/knowledge going on.
To an extent, the same goes for people just wanting to receive, although, as you said, the claims that these companies make are ridiculous, and while I may not understand how they could just not do research and believe these claims, I know there are a LOT of people who really do take what they see as the truth, unfortunately.

Thanks for the post. Maybe a new user will be made aware.
Hopefully.
If anything comes out of this post - I hope it will be that someone googled "baofeng for scanning" or something, and finds this thread and decides to learn before buying.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
A few years back I saw a listing on eBay for a UV-5R that was listed as a "digital police scanner." Just for giggles and grins, I sent a message to the seller informing them (although they probably already knew) that the UV-5R was an analog only radio and would not receive digital signals. I really wasn't expecting to hear back from him/her, but I did...I got an expletive filled reply saying that he (she?) meant the display was digital.

JDrisc3480

Its amazing how many posts are up on Offerup & Ebay with Baofengs being sold as "scanners", listed for sometimes over $100 (though most of the time $50-75)
While using these services is a buyer-beware situation, it's crazy to me just how many there are of these listings, and how they're often so deceitful.
Of course, people need to do their due diligence before buying, but I can't imagine how many people may have purchased these for their husbands/spouses/dads, thinking they are getting them a nice little scanner for a good price.
I know, technically, anything that receives radio signals can be a "Scanner", but I think its safe to say that theyre purposely mislabeling the product to receive a wider audience/higher price point. Im surprised these listing last so long, too (many are up for 6months - a year).

I have seen them listed on Amazon that way as well

ScubaJungle

ScubaJungle said in part...

View attachment 86060

My question being...: Make up your mind. Is the BaoFeng you're selling "USED" or "NEW" ?

73 to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger

P.S. He asked for a bid so I did... at $15.00 Got to play with his mind somehow. ;)
I asked him if it "does digital police" and he said yes. I asked if it does trunking, he said yes. I offered $10. lol.

bharvey2

I got that beat, was scrolling through Facebook marketplace and saw this...

I might be willing to spend $15 for that if I were in a nostalgic mood. However, $140 for a Baofeng? Not me, unless of course it's been "peaked and tuned" ;)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Gee I should sell my four WLN radios if people are silly enough to pay this price! :unsure:

https://puu.sh/FSEry.png
FSEry.png

Status
Not open for further replies.