Barrow County, GA - County officials: Radio system poses threat to law enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and why should Barrow county spend a DIME more than the millions they have already funneled into Schaumburg in 2012 for their "state of the art" Astro 25 DTRS? Anyone checked the contract or RFP for a performance clause?

This is the SAME county who's sheriff just said he is running out of money to put gas in his patrol cars and feed the prisoners.

Another fine example of, the RACE to WASTE:

BOC votes 4-3 to give Sheriff needed funding

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
and why should Barrow county spend a DIME more than the millions they have already funneled into Schaumburg in 2012 for their "state of the art" Astro 25 DTRS? Anyone checked the contract or RFP for a performance clause?

This is the SAME county who's sheriff just said he is running out of money to put gas in his patrol cars and feed the prisoners.

Another fine example of, the RACE to WASTE:

BOC votes 4-3 to give Sheriff needed funding

Now, now. Astro P25 DTRS is getting towards the end of it's life! You know, like Phase II will be obsolete by 2015? :D

SCPD

QRT
It'll never end high costing trs tech will keep changing the next 20 years and I am sure deep down someone with a big comm company knows the holes and gaps but sees $ on sucker to keep upgrading. If agencies would have independent study on tower placement and radio survey of areas where problems may arise allot can be prevented. But how we live now days. County 1 gets new fancy dual band with type 9000 features or capability then county 2 says oh we need that to hear them so we need it so they get it and so on then meanwhile county 1 goes to system mega 10,000 tri banders and others barely got 9000 lol . Forget about the interop channels to solve that or the original comms that worked we need that fancy touch screen tri band multi quad unit now! Lol

SCPD

QRT
That's the thing the p25 format is a never ending changing format. Regardless what they get it'll be obsolete by what you said 2015 lol by the time most regular smaller agencies change over to apx series they will be near end of life and a new bad boy out. I know tons and tons of agencies barely getting xts series portables and stock piling them in rush as end of production on the xts 5 and 2500 is in Nov-ish but support for 5 years after. Then they'll wanna upgrade to the latest lower apx series and same will happen it'll be coming up end of production. I agree race to waste.

SCPD

QRT
I'm sure by 2018 there will be a new mandate new format public safety must follow. I recall reading long ago eventually there will be mandate for all public safety to go 700 mhz. So meanwhile we know we may have to go to that but hey let's waste to get there. The comm business like others seen good opportunity $ after tragic events and laws made to interop everyone and I think it's got out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.