Bartlesville Airport? (warning - newbie question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

commgeek

This past weekend I heard some stuff that sounded like air planes doing spotting or something like that. That didn't make sense to me because B'Ville isn't a big town like Tulsa and you don't usually think of that kind of thing here. At least not TV or radio stations doing traffic spotting.

I've looked at all the frequency lists I can find (mostly radioreference and cityfreq) and it doesn't show up. So, does anyone know of anything like that going on in or around Bartlesiville? The frequency was 149.5375 which isn't near any of the PD or SO channels. My suspicion is that it is something of Phillips' out at the airport.

Anybody know anything about it? And while I'm at it, is there anyone else on this list up in this neck of the woods even? I read the forums but haven't posted before and the last time I had a scanner I was a kid (in the 70s!) so I'm kind of new at some of this (i.e., please be gentle : ). Thanks!

freqscout

If it is CAP they do air monitoring/spotting for their units on the ground. They occasionally do search and rescue practice with ELT's to practice the real thing and they use planes in support of the ground mission.

KOK5CY

Bartlesville Area

Commgeek

I'm from the Bartlesville area lived there for 11 yr's . What ever ?'s you have go ahead and ask away .

commgeek

I know a guy that used to be in the Civil Air Patrol back when we were in high school. That was a LONG time ago. I didn't know they were even around anymore. I'll have to look that guy up and see what he knows. Thanks for the lead!

ImTheWeasel

KK5FM.

Im from Bartlesville, and i monitor aircraft often. I typically have a scanner with me at all times.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] FM - 149.5375 - Search and Rescue (CAP Channel 4) (Aircraft-to-Ground Primary)[/FONT]

I've heard something on this freq. recently it was a pilot saying; "Requesting change from 250 to 280." then i heard nothing else from that point on.

:eek:

I also have a listing of Signal & 10 Codes for Bartlesville. If your interested in a copy, PM me.

commgeek

Weasel, do you know if CAP flies around here locally? If so, which airport?

I'm still trying to find my old school buddy that might know more. He hasn't returned my call yet. I'll let you all know if I come up with more freqs.

ImTheWeasel

I do know that CAP flies over this area often, and have spoke to folks who say they have made stops at KBVO before. Typically when i hear them they are up around McConnel AFB or headed to or from there. Im still listening daily and hoping to learn more.

I hear the most activity in this area on the following frequencies

All of these frequencies were obtained via RR Database, Under the ZKC ARTCC link.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=2242

Most CAP stuff i hear is either headed primarily to and from McConnell AFB or Tulsa International. And its typical traffic consists of weather updates, asking to deviate around said weather, or something in regards to vector changes.

Most commonly what i hear is, commercial airlines, hear stuff like-

"Requesting change from flight level TWO-FIVE-ZERO to THREE-FOUR-ZERO."

or

"Delta Flight 1683, 21:04, Good Night!"

Thats about it really.

Hope this helps.

:cool:

Last edited:

commgeek

I finally caught up with my old high school buddy that was in CAP and he had some interesting news. He got out of CAP recently over some dispute he didn't want to go into but does know about a big change coming in their comm plan. He says they are going to get a whole bunch of new frequencies to use in the next year or so and he has a friend who knows what the new frequencies are. He said he'll try to get me a list.

In the meantime he gave me the frequencies they use now. I don't think this is new news to anyone but I'll list them here just in case. I notice Weasel listed one of them above so evidently he already knows these.

Here's what he gave me:

148.125 Repeater Output and sometimes simplex
148.1375 Ground team channel used for short range comm
148.150 Repeater Output and frequently used for simplex
149.5375 Air operations. This is the one I heard last week and Weasel already knew about.

He said there's also a packet channel but he didn't kow the freq. I'll let you all know what I find out about the new frequencies. He also told me they don't fly up this way very often but what I heard may have just been a training mission or something.

Anyway, stay tuned :) more to follow.

The Geek is on the Trail! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.