Base antenna for 700-800 MHz P25 trunking systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Can you post what specific system(s) are you looking to bring in & what scanner you're using? If said system(s) contain simulcast sites and you're not running a Uniden SDS100 or 200, then simulcast distortion could be the real issue & an antenna upgrade may not be the answer, as is the case more often than not whenever anyone asks for an antenna upgrade on 700/800...

ScottE22

Unfortunately the systems are multicast NC VIPER P25 systems,using a Uniden BCD436HP,have found using a 1/4 wave Laird rubber duck seems to do the best compared to the Remtronix 800Mhz,Laird 1/2 wave dipole,etc....

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I use both a Diamond N300 discone and a 800/900mhz directional yagi up on a 25-ft mast fed into two 8-way Stridsberg multi-couplers in order to make both antennas accessible to all scanners. Works well for me no matter what I intend to monitor.

lu81fitter

If you are in Hickory, Catawba county, it doesn't appear that there is simulcast in your area according to the database. If your only interest is listening the the Viper system, you can get a ground plane set-up with simple whip antenna. Here are some ideas.

Ground plane kit.
Laird Technologies MBC800 - $29.95 : The Antenna Farm, Your two way radio source

Antennas.
Laird Technologies QW760 - $9.95 : The Antenna Farm, Your two way radio source

Laird Technologies B7603 - $33.95 : The Antenna Farm, Your two way radio source

These may be the most economical options. You would have to purchase quality coax and some type of mounting pole to mount the ground plane kit to. Maybe others will chime in with better options.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
If you are in Hickory, Catawba county, it doesn't appear that there is simulcast in your area according to the database. If your only interest is listening the the Viper system, you can get a ground plane set-up with simple whip antenna. Here are some ideas.

Ground plane kit.
Laird Technologies MBC800 - $29.95 : The Antenna Farm, Your two way radio source

Antennas.

These may be the most economical options. You would have to purchase quality coax and some type of mounting pole to mount the ground plane kit to. Maybe others will chime in with better options.
I use the same base station adapter but the antenna is a 13 inch whip with coil located bottom mid section. Same frequency range but out performed the laird i tried that antenna but 13 inch whip had much more favorable results

ScottE22

Ground plane kit.

Antennas.

Thanks for the info,my main interest are Catawba county Sheriff's department and Burke county sheriff's department, both on NC VIPER, having issues with multicast dropout,got good signal, and it's not always an issue. Noticed if I lock on a dept channel, many times I end up missing transmissions,sometimes for some time,maybe need to get a SDS100/200...

Cognomen

I got a free 800 MHz mobile antenna (5/8 over 1/4 wave) with an NMO base when somebody changed systems. I found a round piece of thin, flat steel in the scrap bin that was around 6" in diameter. Drilled a 3/4" hole in the middle, and installed an NMO mount. Screwed the plate to a piece of aluminum L-channel scrap for a stand-off, and U-bolted it to the mast.

lu81fitter

I'm assuming you have a 436 or 536. Make sure you check your squelch setting. You shouldn't need anything above 4. Also, try adjusting the settings for P25 threshold and P25 filter. It can make a little difference. If your budget allows a SDS100/200, then have at it. Just beware of some of the issues those radios have.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
Can you post a link to that antenna? I may use one on my car.
I simply made the whip out of stainless steel wire 18 gauge. And i had an old 800 MHz whip that the threads were bad and modeled it by wrapping the coil part of the antenna wire around a small diameter Phillips screw driver about an inch keeping the coils wound close to one another with out each wrap not touching the other. I mounted the end into an F type female to female connector the total length was 13 inches. The coil starts 2 inches above from where it connects into the F connector.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
It out performed the antenna described. I have one of those and tested both. My home made one out performed the laird ! But any 3Db 13 inch 760 to 870Mhz would work better because the whip is longer than the stubby whip on the laird

ScottE22

I'm assuming you have a 436 or 536. Make sure you check your squelch setting. You shouldn't need anything above 4. Also, try adjusting the settings for P25 threshold and P25 filter. It can make a little difference. If your budget allows a SDS100/200, then have at it. Just beware of some of the issues those radios have.
What issues do the SDS100/200 have,out of curiosity?Also,appreciate the suggestions, already had squelch at 2,may try the other suggestions as well....

PM08203

Premium Subscriber
I got a free 800 MHz mobile antenna (5/8 over 1/4 wave) with an NMO base when somebody changed systems. I found a round piece of thin, flat steel in the scrap bin that was around 6" in diameter. Drilled a 3/4" hole in the middle, and installed an NMO mount. Screwed the plate to a piece of aluminum L-channel scrap for a stand-off, and U-bolted it to the mast.
Any pics available?

Status
Not open for further replies.