base antenna for 800 mhz..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i`m looking to add a base antenna outside. i only monitor 800mhz.. i would like some feed back on what antennas i should consider. i wanna pick up some surrounding counties in the 15-20 mile range. i`m in florida and the terrain is flat.. since i broke down and am considering on putting a antenna outside i wanna go all out and get the best one possible.

JohnWayne

You can get a 6dB commercial antenna in the $150 range new. It's more than you need for 15-20 miles, but you never know when you may want to listen further. A common model is the Antenex FG8066, but other compines make them, too. You will also need the mounting brackets if the antenna does not come with them.

You will also need some decent coax like RG213, RG214, LMR400, etc. You can get by RG8X if your coax run is under 30' or so. Don't forget weatherproofing and grounding as well.

Jeff

RISC777

pinellasfirefighter said:
thanks alot man... i had my eye on the antenex fg8426. what should i ground to?
pinellas,

Run some solid copper from the mast or its base (not the antenna itself), like a tripod or whatever you use at the bottom of it, to a 1/2" by 8' ground rod (or the larger diameter and longer flavor found at most any hardware store) sunk into the ground. No sharp bends in the solid copper or you'll negate your endeavor. I'd suggest #6 or #4 solid. If the base is not going onto any structure but will be at the/in the ground itself, do the same (you're solid copper length will just be shorter).

prcguy

Grounding always stirs up some emotions, so I’ll keep this to two main facts. NEC requires that you ground your TV, CB, Amateur, scanner antenna or satellite dish, etc to the house ground with no more than 20ft of #10 copper wire or slightly larger if aluminum wire.
If you ground an antenna with a ground rod, the rod must be bonded to the house ground with a short #6 copper wire. With that said, NEC grounds are for electrical safety. I can’t tell you how many antennas I have seen (and have been shocked by) that were grounded only to a ground rod and now the end of the coax at the radio is at a very high potential compared to anything else grounded in the house. The other point I want to make is, grounding to survive a direct lightning hit is way beyond the scope of most hams or hobbyists, unless your house electrical system and antenna feedline entry points were specifically designed and built with lightning in mind. Ground your antenna at least to code and more if you wish, but don’t let that be a false sense of security that you will be ok during a lightning storm.
prcguy

brandon

Database Admin
If your ordering the FG8246 824-896 6DB omni, you may want to try RadioOutfitter.com. I ordered one last week and it was delivered yesterday. Total price including shipping was less than $110. I still need to get me a FM2 mounting kit for it though. I don't know if that is why its cheaper since it doesn't include it.

The antenna is very high quality and looks very professional. Can't wait to get the thing up!

DewAddict

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but are the requirements different if you are mounting the mast to the garage and not the house? I live in Michigan and ran an 8' ground rod and #6 wire to it from the mast. The mast is on the side of the garage and up 20'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.