• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Base antenna height

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

This is correct. When I got visited by the FCC in the late 1970s my Hy-Gain Penetrator was about 60ft off the ground on a split level house, technically illegal. The field engineers measured my antenna height and noted it in the complaint but it didn't add to the $50 fine at the time for failing to use my callsign within a 10 minute period during a long conversation.

While the FCC was at my house I ran down a list of "what if" questions including an antenna mounted on a tall building and they said you can go maximum of 20ft above the roof to the tip of the antenna if it will otherwise exceed 60ft above ground. My antenna was 22' 9" tall and that would have to be lowered by 2' 9" below roof line to be legal in that case. Otherwise I was happy to be visited by the FCC and only pay a $50 for the delightful and informative experience.

I think what this refers to is in the case a tall building, such as say an 8 story condominium, the antenna top can't be more than 20 feet above the building. In that case a 24 foot antenna would technically be illegal, and a shorter antenna such as a 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave would have to be used. Note that the regulation states "whichever is higher". This would place the base of the antenna some 80 feet or more above the ground, but the obstruction of the building requires it. That's my take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.