Base Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingradio

Does anyone have any suggestions for the very best Base antenna? I can't find one that beats the one that came with the scanner. I have tried Ferret and one that I had for the last 20 years. I know about height which I am lacking and location Cable etc. Freq Range I want is 150 460's and 800.

Any Help Appreciated.

Bob

arvellabill

Go to walmart in the home intertainment section and look for a TV/Cable antenna pre-amp its a little black metal box about 1 1/4' tall 1 1/4' deep and 3 1/2 inches long with 2 f-connectors on top. Then go to radio shack for a f connector to BNC connector. Walmart advertizes 18 db gain. I get this with the Uniden supplied antenna sitting at ground level [ My Basement ] or about 4 Bars on the s meter $ 25.00. well worth it since you can return anything to walmart that you aren't satisfied with. Bill

Last edited:

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
The Diamond discone antenna is a very good, wide coverage antenna. Just be sure to use the best / largest feedline you can afford-- LMR400, heliax, etc. You will notice the difference especially at 800 MHz.

Kingradio

Thanks very much for the replies. Austin is presently building me an antenna with just the Bands that I listen to. I will try that and see what happens. The only problem I have with the Pre Amp's is that they build all noise with the wanted signal. Only used them on CB though they might be different on The higher freqs. We are using LMR 400 cable. I will try the pre amp and the Diamond if I'm not satisified

Bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.