Base Borden Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

meplat

Premium Subscriber
As someone that's been out of scanning for over ten years, coming back to it has been a real shocker. Digital systems, trunking systems. Frankly, I'm overwhelmed. I realize that I need to upgrade my scanners. It's quite obvious that I'll need something like a Gremcom PSR 600 for the OPP and other govt services that are digital.

Anyway, once I've got this system, talkgroup thing figured out, I'll have to program in the freqs. As an amateur radio operator, I've found that it's easy to use computer based programming. It seems to be even more important to use the proper software when dealing with digital trunking systems.

Now, to my questions. If I upgrade my status, how is the database here set up? Is it a simple job of importing freqs into whatever program I'll need for the PSR 600? I work at Borden and will attempt these freqs first.

Steve

DaveH

As someone that's been out of scanning for over ten years, coming back to it has been a real shocker. Digital systems, trunking systems. Frankly, I'm overwhelmed. I realize that I need to upgrade my scanners. It's quite obvious that I'll need something like a Gremcom PSR 600 for the OPP and other govt services that are digital.

Anyway, once I've got this system, talkgroup thing figured out, I'll have to program in the freqs. As an amateur radio operator, I've found that it's easy to use computer based programming. It seems to be even more important to use the proper software when dealing with digital trunking systems.

Now, to my questions. If I upgrade my status, how is the database here set up? Is it a simple job of importing freqs into whatever program I'll need for the PSR 600? I work at Borden and will attempt these freqs first.

Steve

If you become a Premium Subscriber I believe you should be able to download
just about anything, including this system. However, I recommend people become
familiar with programming their scanners manually, and this system would not be
too bad by hand.

Dave

meplat

Premium Subscriber
I looked in the scanner manual, but like some of my amateur gear, it's easier to use a laptop. Many of the radio's features are not used very often and you forget how to use them. That means you have to dig into the manual.

I have downloaded the owners manual for the radio I'll be buying, but I really do not wish to spend too much time programming. It's tedious. :)

mciupa

As someone that's been out of scanning for over ten years, coming back to it has been a real shocker. I work at Borden and will attempt these freqs first.

Steve

Does your current scanner handle multi-table configurations for VHF trunking?

My older scanner only had a one table option. So control channel rotation fouled things up for me.

CFB Borden operates a three table configuration set up like this:

Trunk Type: Motorola Type 2 - VHF
Base Config 1: Frequency 148.300/Step 15/Offset 541
Base Config 2: Frequency 149.635/Step 15/Offset 546
Base Config 3: Frequency 150.245/Step 15/Offset 382

With these entered, you will trunktrack and see the talkgroups, without them, you will be disappointed. :(

meplat

Premium Subscriber
No. I've got a couple of older analog handhelds, so I have to wait. And you're right, I was disappointed.

I stared my search when I got what I thought was intermod on one of my 2 meter radios on 149.635. I am waiting on a scanner that is capable of trunking. When it gets here, I will upgrade my subscription here and import the freqs from the database. It's disappointing not to be able to follow things on base.

Status
Not open for further replies.