Base/Mobile Antenna Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON9803

I am planning on purchasing two of the Kenwood TM-D710G Dual Band transceivers to use in my storm chase vehicle and at my house, and would like to hear any suggestions for base and mobile antennas that can transmit and receive the entire frequency spectrum the radios use. If possible, when you post your suggestion please also post a link to the product page from a US or Canadian retailer who carries the antenna (not eBay, please).

These radios will be used to converse with other storm chasers in the area as well as report severe weather to local CANWARN nets.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

ON9803

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am planning on purchasing two of the Kenwood TM-D710G Dual Band transceivers to use in my storm chase vehicle and at my house, and would like to hear any suggestions for base and mobile antennas that can transmit and receive the entire frequency spectrum the radios use. If possible, when you post your suggestion please also post a link to the product page from a US or Canadian retailer who carries the antenna (not eBay, please).

These radios will be used to converse with other storm chasers in the area as well as report severe weather to local CANWARN nets.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

ON9803

For mobile, Larsen NMO-2/70. They are solid, reliable antennas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwt873

Premium Subscriber

I second that...

For a base antenna.. For range, what you need first is height. Get it on a tower or a tall mast on the roof.

For dual band use a Diamond X200A or Comet GP-1 will work well as omni directional antennas.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Ditto.

And if the length is an issue, they make an NMO-2/70SH model that's 1/4 wave on 2 meters, so about 19 inches tall.

I've been running Larsen antennas for 25-20 years now, and never had one fail. If performance and reliability are important, they are good antennas, just don't cut corners by doing mag-mount or other half way install.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000567
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/lsn-nmo2-70sh

Status
Not open for further replies.