Base Scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridehardny

I have a Uniden BCT15 Base scanner. Im looking to get better reception, especially on my fire dept. frequency. My FD uses 46.200Mhz, Police is 179.790. Im looking for an antenna around $100. What do you guys recommend?

af5rn

ridehardny said:
What do you guys recommend?
I recommend that you spend a LOT less than $100 dollars. ;)

Even if you have to buy mounting poles and a tripod to put it up with, you should still get away for a lot less than a C-note.

Unless your locals are talking simplex (not through a repeater or trunk system), or you're listening to far, far, far away systems, there's no reason to spend much more than thirty bucks. Anything Rat Shack offers will work fine If you want to go crazy and order something, the $30 dollar Scantenna (both of which are discussed in just about every question below yours) is also an excellent choice.

Last edited:

N1BHH

You say 179.79, are they running in the middle of the VHF TV band already? Most any antenna outdoors will do. I have built a few that work good. I had a vertical dipole that worked nice up in a tree at 45 feet and a ten meter ground plane, which I have to put back up soon, which really worked far above my expectations. I have saved a boatload of cash building wire antennas. Find yourself a Scantenna and some of that quad shield RG6 out there and you'll have a great antenna. I'm thinking about buying one myself.

brandon

Database Admin
For doing 46 MHz and 179 (?) MHz and to keep things simple I would go with the Scantenna. Least amount of hassle and best bang for the buck.

ridehardny

sorry, that was a typo on the police freq. It's 155.790 I think I'll try a scantenna!! My main problem is picking up our fire dept. I can only hear dispatch. Acutally my minitor has better reception than my scanner right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.