Base Scanner Antenna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud4030

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys just purchase a new Pro-2096, and I'm really getting into this scanner hobby. Whats a good antenna for my home ? I have a pole on my house now from an old tv antenna. I can attach a good scanner antenna to it. In my area I listen to VHF as well as the new digital 800mhz. The cable length will be about 25-30' long.

SAR923

The Scantenna is a good all around antenna although it's pretty big at about 8' tall. How far away are you from the 800 MHz systems? If you're within 10 or so miles, you might consider the Radio Shack 20-176 ground plane. It's much smaller, will work fine as long as you're not trying for trunked systems from way off, and is one of the best antennas for VHF.

af5rn

Many options available, from cheap ($30) to outrageous ($275). If you are right in the middle of everything you need to hear, not too far away, and already hear most of what you need to hear on the stock whip, go for the cheap Scantenna. It's not high-end, but up on your roof, it does as well as 90 percent of most scannists need. Lots of people here use it and swear by it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=AC-ST2

If you are trying to listen to systems a few towns or counties away, and need higher performance, then one of the high quality discones would be a good choice. One is available from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...052.2032075.2032078.2032098&parentPage=family

Many other models to choose from at http://www.scannermaster.com/Rooftop_Antennas_s/127.htm

All those other models provide varying degrees of performance, but really -- if you want to keep it simple -- the two antennas I linked will take care of the needs of most scannists. As Jim noted, if you're trying to hear 800mhz trunking systems much more than ten or twenty miles away, you may need a directional antenna. Good luck!

Last edited:
Sputnik

+1 on the radio shack 20-176. Been using them for many years in the Phoenix area with great results. Best for dense RF areas where you need to get good VHF reception (local FD still uses it here). The main element length was chosen to resonate strongly in VHF high and somewhat in UHF 450-470, and with it's little 800 mhz elements it hits the big three ranges pretty well.

If you need to get more distant signals in a moderate RF zone the scantenna has great reviews and only a very few detractors. I do hear they fall apart after a few years in stormy weather though so mabye have a backup on hand.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And don't forget to check the Scanner antennas wiki here on RR - there's a fair number of manufacturers, and for those that are the DIY type, even some ideas for that as well

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.