Base Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

Anything will fall apart if you don't take the time to put it together correctly. I have read the reviews on the RS discone also, and it seems to me that people are not taking the time to put them together the right way. So when they fall apart they blame RS and not their shortcommings. I have never had one problem with my RS Discone and I live in a place where the whether can get pretty rough. I will buy another one when this one gets stolen. Because it seems that is the only thing that is gonna happen to this antenna, Mother Nature hasn't been able to touch it yet.

Wow, Mike! I agree completely with your musings, lol. But, I know from experience that such an attitude is not the norm on this, or any other Forum. The need to blame the product and not the user is almost universal (especially if the user is the poster, lol). In fact, I believe your attitude on the subject is the absolute antithesis of what drives most of the threads.

Thanks,

Rob

maalox

i use to use those discone antennas and st antennas they do not last in strong winds i kept loosing a spoke or to.. i use now a aor sa7000 antenna is a scanner antenna and shortwave antenna in one it can withstand high winds.. its a superwideband scanner antenna hook up to my 996xt its works on all bands excellent much better than the st antenna..

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with the person stating the RS discone has hollow elements. But, I also have to agree with the person stating they have solid elements. I bought one maybe 20 years ago. When I moved out of my grandmother's house (no comments, I'm married and on my own now :) ), I left it. Last month when I came to visit, its still mounted to the house and in good shape. I also bought another one maybe 4 years ago and it was a piece of crap. The elements are hollow and break/bend if you look at it wrong. I broke 3 elements putting it up in our attic; I didn't want to mount it outside since we get some really bad winds and I didn't want to replace it every 3 months. Disappointed with the performance and quality, I read and chose an ST2. That antenna is excellent! For the price, you can't beat the quality and performance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I have to agree with the person stating the RS discone has hollow elements. But, I also have to agree with the person stating they have solid elements. I bought one maybe 20 years ago. When I moved out of my grandmother's house (no comments, I'm married and on my own now :) ), I left it. Last month when I came to visit, its still mounted to the house and in good shape. I also bought another one maybe 4 years ago and it was a piece of crap. The elements are hollow and break/bend if you look at it wrong. I broke 3 elements putting it up in our attic; I didn't want to mount it outside since we get some really bad winds and I didn't want to replace it every 3 months. Disappointed with the performance and quality, I read and chose an ST2. That antenna is excellent! For the price, you can't beat the quality and performance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Take the old one down from grandma's and send it to me ill use it......LOL

reedeb

When ya put em together get Lock tite and use it on em. It will lock them i and keep it together for a long time.

nspace01

Premium Subscriber
From my Google and forum investigation, RS previously used solid ss rods. A year or so ago RS went to the cheap side. I would love to have one of the "old" ones.

I bought a RS Discone last week...Hollow "real thin" ss tubes filled with a plastic material. I broke one during assembly. They are very weak where the rods screw to the Cone ahd Disc attachment points. a wooden pencil is stronger. I threw it in the trash, total waste of money & totally worthless............

As stated earlier, you can get much better discones on "Ebay", much cheaper and have solid ss rods............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.