Base Scanner for Birthday?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
After some further testing on the Colorado DTRS system from my work in Grand Junction, Colorado this is my new favorite radio. It's picked up transmissions that are crystal clear from San Juan County, Colorado ( a distance of over a hundred miles.) No distortion and I've even managed to get a brief snippet of a Bustang transit bus going into Denver, CO.

I don't know if I got lucky or what, but that's impressive.
You aren't hearing those from from Denver and probably San Juan either. I too live in Grand Junction and (for example) at times hear CSP in Denver but looking at the site being received, it's one of the local sites like Black Ridge or the Water treatment plant in G J.

That happens because of the way DTRS works. The radio in the unit (or handheld) is not switched to a local CSP district and it "associates" with a local site when it's out of it's normal area and that local site will then start passing traffic intended for that radio "channel" (talkgroups). That way, no matter where in the state that CSP car is, it will receive traffic from whatever talkgroup it is set to.

If a Mesa county sheriff or GJ police car drive to Denver, suddenly anyone scanning in Denver would hear our traffic on a local Denver site.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
the entire DTRS.
You aren't using location control then. I use location control so even though all 100+ DTRS sites are listed, only those within 25 miles are scanned.

You almost be up on the Mesa or Monument because otherwise Copper Mountain can not "reach" GJ city itself... Too far and too many 8 to 10 thousand foot mountains and ridges in between us in the city (5,000 feet) and Copper Mountain.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
It's hitting off of the copper mountain site.

That is unlikely. A distant site can be mistaken for a local one if both are using the same control channel frequencies.

Discussion continued in