Base Security Freq.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentinel1107

Does anybody think it might be potentially problematic to post AF Security Forces frequencies on the internet? It seems like a potential security problem to have just anybody listening in on what the SF are doing.

JoeyC

No. Only those who have the proper radio equipment can listen, and those that do have the proper radio equipment are most likely capable of finding the freqs without the help of the internet anyway.
If a military security operation is careless enough to risk their own security with poor radio technique, then they should consider encryption.

trixwagen

If there is a security issue, then they need to go encrypted. Simple as that.

Edit: You beat me to the answer...I agree.

JoeyC

Also, I've listened to "security" at military bases before. There is nothing ever said over the air amounting to anything of concern anyway. For the most part it is all routine traffic as officers make their rounds and reportings of such rounds, traffic issues, meetings and other low priority stuff. Also the word "minutes" is a no-no on military air apparently. They can't say I'll meet you in 5 minutes, its always 5 MIKES. DUH.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Does anybody think it might be potentially problematic to post AF Security Forces frequencies on the internet? It seems like a potential security problem to have just anybody listening in on what the SF are doing.

It presents no risk. Any serious enemy has the ability to intercept our radio communications without having to resort to the internet for intelligence.

The real concern is the people working at high level security levels in the U.S. that are traitors to our country, and selling information to our enemies!

pyeman99

It presents no risk. Any serious enemy has the ability to intercept our radio communications without having to resort to the internet for intelligence.

The real concern is the people working at high level security levels in the U.S. that are traitors to our country, and selling information to our enemies!
At that rate this website should be closed down,maybe you would wish mil air scanning to made illegal,no mention on this site should be made of any of the public safety services.
The call is yours.Regards Keith.

ecps92

Looks like a TROLL and smells like a TROLL
and altho he has been a member for a longtime, One Post and Hook-Line-Sinker
one of them dar sneeky ones. Just wait'n to come out from his hibernation :)

At that rate this website should be closed down,maybe you would wish mil air scanning to made illegal,no mention on this site should be made of any of the public safety services.
The call is yours.Regards Keith.

pyeman99

Looks like a TROLL and smells like a TROLL
and altho he has been a member for a longtime, One Post and Hook-Line-Sinker
one of them dar sneeky ones. Just wait'n to come out from his hibernation :)
Nope just can't see what all the patriotic crap is about.
If you want total security then half the radio web sites would need to close,nothing was aimed at this one.
It's a good site & Lindsey has complyed with requests for certain mil info to be removed.
Keith the Troll !!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Anytime anyone uses a radio, there is the possibility that information they don't want heard will be.

In the military (at least the Air Force when I was in it) preached two things for those of use who had to use radios in our day to day jobs. COMSEC (communications security) and INFOSEC (information security).

We were constantly told to limit the information sent over the radio. And I didn't even work in a security related career field.

The biggest danger is not the security forces, but the support units (i.e., maintenance and logistics) who daily pass on equipment status and availability. Mobility times are the most critical. The mobilization destination and duration may be sensitive, but just listening in one may be able to determine it all.

This is one of the reasons we are seeing military bases migrating to newer trunked systems with encryption.

So for the 1 post OP, the answer is listening to security forces is not a security issue of major importance. Though our governments paranoia would have you believe it. As SIG-INT said, the greater danger comes from the traitors and not terrorists in our midst.

ecps92

Guess some folks missed the change by the ownership

RadioReference Database
RadioReference.com will NOT honor requests to remove system information for City, State, and Local Government authorities. The system information provided on these pages provides an important resource to well meaning users of the data, and we do not intend to change that.

As of 5/19/2008 - RadioReference.com will no longer remove information from the database for Federal and Military Radio Communications information unless required by court order. Our previous policy was to remove information if officially requested by a federal or military agency, however that policy has now been rescinded and is no longer in effect. Any data that was previously removed will no longer be subject to the past removal policy and may be brought back into the database.

If you want total security then half the radio web sites would need to close,nothing was aimed at this one.
It's a good site & Lindsey has complyed with requests for certain mil info to be removed.
Keith the Troll !!

ecps92

I was actually refering to the Original Poster, with 1 message since 2005? that started the whole thread, but there are plenty them out here...

Keith the Troll !!

pyeman99

I was actually refering to the Original Poster, with 1 message since 2005? that started the whole thread, but there are plenty them out here...
ok I take it back.I do also take the point of comsec opsec + the site changes.
Now we are all happy bunnies.Keith.

Sentinel1107

Guess some folks missed the change by the ownership

RadioReference Database
RadioReference.com will NOT honor requests to remove system information for City, State, and Local Government authorities. The system information provided on these pages provides an important resource to well meaning users of the data, and we do not intend to change that.

As of 5/19/2008 - RadioReference.com will no longer remove information from the database for Federal and Military Radio Communications information unless required by court order. Our previous policy was to remove information if officially requested by a federal or military agency, however that policy has now been rescinded and is no longer in effect. Any data that was previously removed will no longer be subject to the past removal policy and may be brought back into the database.

yes i did see that, just wanted to see what people thought, thank you for the answers

Last edited:

Hooligan

Also, I've listened to "security" at military bases before. There is nothing ever said over the air amounting to anything of concern anyway. For the most part it is all routine traffic as officers make their rounds and reportings of such rounds, traffic issues, meetings and other low priority stuff. DUH.

So then if something major happens, possibly involving a hostile act, how are they going to communicate?

Just because you've heard what you deem to be mundane traffic whenever you've tuned them in, it's rather silly to assume that if something major does occur, the initial responding forces are just going to magically use some other, secure radio system.

Dispatching units to a silent burglary alarm at the BX over the standard, non-secure radio channel can amount to something to be concerned with, because if it's a valid burglary in progress, the bad guy(s) with the scanner have now been tipped-off that the security forces are on the way. That in itself is bad. Hopefully the bad guy(s) would use that tip off to flee the scene ASAP, instead of setting up ambush plans for the responding security force personnel.

I'm not saying the publication of security freqs is good or bad (it's their duty to protect their communications), I'm just making the case that your reasoning in the matter is pretty lame.

JoeyC

So then if something major happens, possibly involving a hostile act, how are they going to communicate?

Just because you've heard what you deem to be mundane traffic whenever you've tuned them in, it's rather silly to assume that if something major does occur, the initial responding forces are just going to magically use some other, secure radio system.

:confused: Huh, who said that? :roll:

Mainsail

As a listener that works on a military base I can tell you that any information that is sensitive or personal does not go over the radios. “Police One, landline this office.” Now, you can’t landline with a cell phone, but I can overlook that error.

Besides that, they already know you’re listening. It’s not a secret.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Okay, this is pre 9/11, but while I was active duty and part of the bases Exercise Evaluation Team, I always used my scanner to monitor the exercise and we'd go over the transmissions.

First to make sure we used the "Exercise, exercise, exercise" before any exercise related transmission (so as not to panic John Q public about the 'nuclear accident' on the base). But to ensure that not too much sensitive information could be gleaned from the transmissions.

I've even had my car searched at the gate with the scanner blaring away with the base channels and had no problems.

It goes back to radio discipline (which after the fiascoes at Minot I begin to wonder about), but if someone really wants to listen in, they will be able to do it. Terrorism is fairly well funded with access to toys we only can dream of playing with.

I did miss Lindsey's reversal on the DOD info being listed. I am glad for that change. I know there was at least one letter he had on file that would never stand up in court. The guy sending the letter stated the frequencies were 'classified'. Not even close sports fans.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
:confused: Huh, who said that? :roll:
You did. Mundane means ordinary. :roll:

You said: "For the most part it is all routine traffic as officers make their rounds and reportings of such rounds, traffic issues, meetings and other low priority stuff."

JoeyC

You did. Mundane means ordinary. :roll:

You said: "For the most part it is all routine traffic as officers make their rounds and reportings of such rounds, traffic issues, meetings and other low priority stuff."

I know exactly what I said, thanks. I said nothing about magically using another secure radio system as the gentleman alluded to nor did I use the words "ordinary or mundane".

I know you like to pick on us little folks and I'm on your list now wayne but you really shouldn't read into stuff we write. I simply stated that most of the traffic is routine and (indirectly stated) that if they haven't mastered any radio discipline when it comes to sensitive information, then maybe they should ENCRYPT.

Status
Not open for further replies.