• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Base station location

Status
Not open for further replies.

brizzotheizzo

Getting ready to set up a new base station. However I have one concern. I’m putting my radio shack in my garage. I’m going to mount the radio fairly close to my power panel utility box. However, the antenna is located far away and in the clear .

Just wondering if I have to have any concerns of stray R.F. bleeding over into the power panel from the radio unit itself? Or possibly from the coax line. The feedline run actually runs from the radio, and away from the power panel. Has anyone else had any experience with this? If it’s going to be a problem, I will locate the RadioShack elsewhere.

prcguy

The antenna is what picks up signals and interference. Since the antenna will be far from the electrical panel I would not expect any problems from the electrical panel but you could have switching power supplies in various devices in the house that can radiate interference for quite a distance.

Get every thing installed and receiving, then if you have interference you can turn equipment off or shut down circuit breakers to see if its coming from something withing your own house.

WB9YBM

Getting ready to set up a new base station. However I have one concern. I’m putting my radio shack in my garage. I’m going to mount the radio fairly close to my power panel utility box. However, the antenna is located far away and in the clear .

Just wondering if I have to have any concerns of stray R.F. bleeding over into the power panel from the radio unit itself? Or possibly from the coax line. The feedline run actually runs from the radio, and away from the power panel. Has anyone else had any experience with this? If it’s going to be a problem, I will locate the RadioShack elsewhere.

As long as everything's grounded properly, I don't anticipate problems. I'd be more concerned about dirt/dust getting into the radio, and temperature/humidity extremes.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
As long as everything's grounded properly, I don't anticipate problems. I'd be more concerned about dirt/dust getting into the radio, and temperature/humidity extremes.

In agreement about problems of dust + condensation summer & winter.

A garage (or basement) needs to be very well insulated to keep these problems away.

The value of radio shouldn’t be relegated to worst conditions.

These are real people . . put the unreal people (TV) in the garage.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

Power panels as are any wiring are only possible issues at HF. At higher frequencies, the problem is more from cable TV/INTERNET drops and from newer power meters with RF reading (usually at 900 MHz)-that might be just on the other side of the wall from the power box. I would try to be as far from these as possible. Personally I could not be that far from my radios having two stations--one in the living room (the main one) and one in the bedroom.

JayMojave

Yo: Being next to the power panel no interference problem. The good thing is that if you want to add a little more steam in your output power the power panel is close by.

Jay in the Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.