Base vs Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry52

I own a Uniden BCD325P2 mobile scanner and been setting on the fence as to whether or not to upgrade to the SDS200 base station. I like the fact of being able to take my mobile scanner outside but on the other hand, I have heard how great the SDS200 base station is. I guess my question is, is the base scanner worth the change? Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

CrabbyMilton

I'm not familiar with the SDS200 base station but I bought my last base only scanner in 1990. Every scanner I have had since then has been handheld and frankly I would never go back to base only.

Listen365

Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 is a base/mobile scanner. You can get a SDS100 which is the handheld version of the SDS200. They work excellently for mobile use.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I own a Uniden BCD325P2 mobile scanner and been setting on the fence as to whether or not to upgrade to the SDS200 base station. I like the fact of being able to take my mobile scanner outside but on the other hand, I have heard how great the SDS200 base station is. I guess my question is, is the base scanner worth the change? Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

The SDS200 is a base/mobile scanner, and people use them at home, work and mobile. What do you you think makes it an upgrade over the SDS100? They should perform equally as well. Even the screen sizes are similar, just that one is vertical and the other is horizontal. The SDS100 has that advantage of being able to use an internal battery and make it more portable. It's really your personal preference.

Listen365

Premium Subscriber
I guess it comes down to portability the SDS100 is handheld like the 325p2 and you have the best of both.

I own both.

The 325P2 is faster at picking up transmissions and is a better receiver.

The SDS200 has an excellent display.

I wouldn't buy an SDS100. It's too susceptible to being dropped or falling to the ground and breaking.

jonsmth

I guess it depends on your personal preference. The SDS100 and SDS200 seem to be remarkable scanners, especially in dealing with simulcast trunking interference. Many of the posters here seem to really like having the scanner on their person most of the day and listen while they work or are out and about so many seem to prefer the portability of the SDS100. For me personally, I usually listen to my scanner at home or once in a great while have it in the car/truck if i'm travelling somewhere. So, for me the SDS200 would be my preference. As with any electronic device, all are subject to defects and flaws, i.e. cold solder joints, components cracking or breaking from the scanner being dropped. Just from observation on this forum though, it seems that I read of more issues with the SDS100 than I do with the SDS200. Perhaps it's because more people are using the SDS100 compared to the SDS200. I don't know. Both seem like the "Cadillacs" of the scanner world and perhaps one day i'll be willing to Pony-Up $700.00 plus for one of these two scanners, but for now, my Radio Shack PRO-668 (converted to a WS-1080) suits my needs just fine.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't buy an SDS100. It's too susceptible to being dropped or falling to the ground and breaking.
And the 325p2 isn't? I guess value of scanner itself is taken into account here but still. I've owned my SDS100 for a number of years. Yeah it may have fallen off a few tables during its lifetime but it still is trusty, reliable and very much in tact

marksmith

I own a 325p2, SDS100 and SDS200.
They are all excellent scanners.

The 325p2 is restricted by the old xlt memory structure but otherwise is the best portable "take it with you" scanner out there. It is also by virtue of the old architecture, not subject to SD card errors.

The 100 and 200 are essentially the same radio except for form factor. I have one 200 and 2 100's.
I use one 100 just like a base plugged into adapter all the time. The second one gets used as a portable when portability is not the main purpose. If it is, the 325p2 gets the nod. If portability is not critical but just taking it with me is OK, then the 100 is preferred. The newer operating system and nearly unlimited memory are big upgrades to the 325p2 and the screens are impressive. And the elimination of problems with simulcast are also very impressive.

All have their pros and cons. If you can only have one in your scenario then the SDS100 might be the pick. Systems are getting too big for the 325p2 especially in metro areas.

The SDS100 can do everything the SDS200 can and still be portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.