Basic Database Question from New User

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleslieiii

I am just getting started really using my scanner. I've had it for a year, but up until now have really only used it for chasing/photographing tugboats and trains. With this lockdown I have begun pushing beyond that.

My TRX-1 came preprogrammed with local frequencies, but many seem to be duplicates. Looking the frequencies up in the database here, it looks like both the "Freq In" and "Freq Out" frequencies are programmed for several local public safety agencies. Do I need both? Which should I monitor? What is the difference?

I'm trying to rationalize the scanlists and clean them up. I realize that the TRX-1 scans frequencies pretty fast but there is no reason to bog it down with useless extra work.

Thanks,
Jack

jleslieiii

Conventional. Here is an example where both "Freq In" and "Freq Out" are set up:

What is the difference and should I monitor both? I've got six different entries for this one channel, both the In and Out with a few different tones and one each with no tone. Seems repeatedly redundant.

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:

dvendt

The pl tone is there so other users can use the same freqs but a different pl tone as the not walk all over each other.

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
You don't need to enter the input channel on any of them. That is to transmit into the repeater, which scanners can't do. Just program the same channel multiple times, each with the different tone and that will differentiate the different uses for that frequency.

jleslieiii

dvendt & kh6sz:

Thanks. I figured that it might be a repeater and that I needed one per tone, but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the help.

Stay well,
Jack

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What listings are you referring to specifically that you're seeing duplicates? Appears that you're in the Ulster County, NY area, and so I'd like to make sure we don't have any issues with duplicates in the NYS listings.

jleslieiii

Dear GTR8000:

I don't think that you have the duplicates in the database, because when I look up the frequencies that I have multiples of there is only one listing for that frequency and tone combination. For example, the screen capture that I attached has one entry in the DB and six on my scanner. That is what made me question it and then I realized that I have both Freq In and Freq Out with various tones.

My duplicates are mostly Ulster County-wide Public Safety and Ulster County Sherriff frequencies. Local cities and towns look OK, just the county-wide services, probably because the locals don't use repeaters(?).

If you want more details, I'll happily send them to you, but when looking up by frequency I have not found any duplicates. I don't think that the DB has an issue here.

Stay well,
Jack

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Thanks, Jack...just making sure.

To answer your other question, you don't need to program the "Freq In", as that's the input to the repeater. You should be fine with just the "Freq Out".

Status
Not open for further replies.