Basic Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioStart

So I decided to try the PRO-433 (my first scanner) and I really have no idea what I'm doing. I picked up and read the manual on how to program trunking systems. I live in San Diego County and so I went to this page to find frequencies I can listen to.

So what I did was decide I'd like to program in the North Zone frequencies. So I, following my manual, entered program mode and pressed trunk. I then programmed the frequencies listed by North Zone:

856.17500 856.20000 857.17500 857.20000 858.17500 858.20000 859.20000 860.17500 860.20000 860.22500 861.00000 861.15000 861.20000a 861.50000 862.15000a 862.20000a 863.15000c 864.25000

I put these in Bank 1 channels 1-19. I then pressed "Search" and my scanner started finding transmissions. It kept displaying 4 digit numbers like 6352 on the display. I wasn't sure how to save these but I did turn off search and I was flipping through channels manually.

Am I even on the right track at all? Thanks a lot.

JoeyC

You're on the right track. Refer to pg 25 of the manual and work on saving the talkgroups you want in the scanners lists.

Flipping through the channels manually defeats the purpose of a trunking scanner.

Highpockets

You're on the right track. Refer to pg 25 of the manual and work on saving the talkgroups you want in the scanners lists.

Flipping through the channels manually defeats the purpose of a trunking scanner.

With you helping him, living in the same area is a great, he should be up and running in no time. Sounds like he's making progress already.

n2mdk

You were on the right track with the ID Search, those 4 digit numbers which can be from 2 to 5 numbers long are what you want to listen for. You need to store the ones you want in the scanlist of the bank.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately the 433 might not be the best choice for this system, as it has numerous talkgroups (you may think of them as groups of users...) that are digital. The 433 cannot deal with these. You would need one of the ones listed in the wiki article below (anything underlined and/or in blue is a link)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

Any talkgroup marked 'E' is encrypted; no scanner will decode them.

73 Mike

RadioStart

Well I got lost now. I can't get it to display the 4 digit numbers anymore and now I'm barely receiving anything. Hmmm.

RadioStart

Well I get the talk groups to display again but I have no idea how to save these. I think I'm a little confused about the talkgroups. The scanner keeps flipping between talkgroups. Some I can hear paramedics talking on. But when they stop talking on one, the scanner flips to another. A lot of them make this horribly annoying noise and I just skip over them. How do I get the scanner to only let me hear the talkgroups that come through well? Is there a way to save a talkgroup that I hear and then only play that one?

Another question I have is lets say I enter 19 frequencies that are all in 1 trunking system in Bank #1. can I enter a different system's frequencies in bank #1 too so that it will scan between systems? Thanks.

Last edited:

JoeyC

Well I get the talk groups to display again but I have no idea how to save these. I think I'm a little confused about the talkgroups. The scanner keeps flipping between talkgroups. Some I can hear paramedics talking on. But when they stop talking on one, the scanner flips to another. A lot of them make this horribly annoying noise and I just skip over them. How do I get the scanner to only let me hear the talkgroups that come through well? Is there a way to save a talkgroup that I hear and then only play that one?

Well, you said that you picked up and read the manual to get you this far, so AGAIN I will tell you to read pg 25. It tells you there.

The annoying noises you hear are the digital talkgroups which your analog only scanner cannot decipher. Once you have programmed the analog talkgroups of your liking and you scan the lists they are in, you won't hear the digital noise anymore.

RadioStart

Well, you said that you picked up and read the manual to get you this far, so AGAIN I will tell you to read pg 25. It tells you there.

The annoying noises you hear are the digital talkgroups which your analog only scanner cannot decipher. Once you have programmed the analog talkgroups of your liking and you scan the lists they are in, you won't hear the digital noise anymore.

Problem solved. Thank you very much. :)

n2mdk

Here's a question that's not mentioned in the Manual, not that I can find. When you search for TGID's does pressing the PGM/E button allow you to store the ID's in the scanlists as they are found.
I don't own a 433 so there is no way I can test this, RadioStart you may want to try and see what happens.

RadioStart

Here's a question that's not mentioned in the Manual, not that I can find. When you search for TGID's does pressing the PGM/E button allow you to store the ID's in the scanlists as they are found.
I don't own a 433 so there is no way I can test this, RadioStart you may want to try and see what happens.

Yeah. I was doing this last night. It would display a couple digital talkgroups that my scanner couldn't get but then it would display a good one. So I'd hit PGM/E and select a list. It would take me to the first unused slot in the list and I'd hit PGM/E one more time and it was saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.