Basic QSL question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

Let me preference this with I have been on HF before and QSL'ed from my home QTH. That being said I no longer have a HF station on the air at home but want to start using my club's station, which is close by... It's in the same grid square!! Any opinions??

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I'm confused. What are you wanting opinions
on exactly?

edweirdFL

Same grid, same state, same county? I'd say that makes it pretty easy to just carry on using the same printed QSL cards, the same LoTW certificate, and the same log if it's that close by. Some folks might prefer to do something different for personal reasons but it's really up to you.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you are chasing the ARRL Worked All States award, the rule states "Contacts must be made from same location, or from locations no two of which are more than 50 miles (80 kilometers) apart."

If you are chasing the ARRL DX Century Club award, the rule states "All stations used to make contacts for a specific DXCC award must be located within the same DXCC entity."

If you are chasing some other award, then you need to follow the award sponsor's rules.

If you aren't chasing any awards, then making contacts from different locations doesn't matter.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Are you wanting to use your call when operating from the club? I'm not familiar with US regs, but if so, perhaps you could use your call and say you're running portable.

When I was in college, we had a club station. When I used their equipment, I used the club's call.

When I had a QSO I gave my name and recorded the contact in the club logbook. Incoming QSL cards for my QSO's were given to me. When returning QSL cards to people I contacted, I would use the club's QSL cards and sign them with my name. That's how it should be.

If my opinion matters :), Justin, you can operate that club station any way you like.

If your club station has a license/callsign (and I say this because in the US a radio club can have a fully equip'd station without them) - you can use your own callsign, ....or say its used during a contest--- by using some other club member's with a catchier call (ie: a "one by two.")

If you go for the paper QSL's, and the cards come to your club station address, be sure to let the sender know your callsign and name, or else the station manager may have a jolly time (Not ! ) in tracking down who made that contact-- especially if no station log was kept (which is not an FCC requirement.)

In my tender, younger years I delited while on assignments to Kwajelein, (Marshall Islands,) in operating the island's amateur radio club station KX6BU. So did every other transient ham. You could used your stateside call; like "WB6XXX/KX6" - which was not only a tongue twister, it was nothing near as sexy as "KX6BU."

Guess what many many of those visitors used* ? :)

But unless those visitors stressed their own callsigns and said something like "please QSL via WB6XXX"-- guess what happened to the bushel baskets of cards that arrived every month , addressed simply to "operator John"..... ?

Of course I'm talking here the old dinosaur days before LoTW, and all the Facebookie type e-confirmations or whatever new stuff has arisen to replace the good-bye-gone days of a neat, physical card in the mail---

No one (least of all someone like me) will fault you for how you operate under the conditions you listed.

Lauri :sneaky:

*the longer timers like me learned fast and got our own KX6 callsigns and operated "BU" using them.

Last edited by a moderator:

W5lz

Just depends on the club rules in most cases, but, stating both calls will keep you legal. If the club receives a QSL (club call) you can't use it for an award.

KF5YU

I'm a full time RV'r and my QTH is wherever I'm camped. When I make a contact, the confirmed QTH is that location. I don't normally QSL anything but DX stations and the way the bands are now I'm not QSL'n anyone. I belong to the SKCC and I always update my location in their database prior to making contacts. I once used a company club station in Atlanta Ga. and I used my call sign and Atlanta as my QTH and QSL'd Atlanta as my location. I even worked China from there and QSL'd them but they didn't reciprocate...

W5lz

KF5YU -
Your home QTH is what's on your license, so being an RV'er means you're either mobile or portable while Thing. I really doubt if anyone would complain, but that /p or /m is what you're actually doing.

w2xq

Mentor
Let me preference this with I have been on HF before and QSL'ed from my home QTH. That being said I no longer have a HF station on the air at home but want to start using my club's station, which is close by... It's in the same grid square!! Any opinions??
What W9BU said (above) re award chasing. I have a few cards from hams opperating from different locations. Their solution? Two locations are listed: two checkboxes, one is checked. Perhaps you could add latitude/longitude to each location.

Status
Not open for further replies.