Basic Question on Antenna Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

new_to_scanners

Premium Subscriber
OK, I've had it with the poor reception of the trunking system, I need an outdoor directional antenna and I am reading everything I can about what kind to get and how to install it. But I cannot find the answer to this one question - I install the antenna on the roof, I have a coaxial cable - how do you get the cable hooked up to the scanner? Do you put down through the walls into the room the scanner is at? Seriously, my cable tv I just plug into the wall connection, how the heck do you connect the cable from the antenna to the scanner in the house?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
You have a lot of options out there. In my case, I ran from the external antenna down to the vent at the gable end of the house, ran the wire through the vent, across the attic, and down through the stud channel to my shack. To get the wire through the wall, I simply drilled the wall and fished the wire through. I did this in an area that wouldn't be seen, so I didn't worry about making it "pretty."

Keep in mind that the way I did it is a very simple, almost amateurish way of doing it, but it's worked for me for many years. You might want to check out the "Shack" thread here in the forums to see how some of the other guys have done their shacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.