Basic scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
What would be a great basic scanner that does not have overloading and sensitivity issues. I only need a non digital/non trunking scanner, but if thats what I need, then I guess I could try it out. I am currently using a Pro-433, which seems to have overloading/sensitivity issues.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
A couple really basic, inexpensive scanners are the Uniden BC72XLT and the BC340CRS (a clock-radio scanner). Uniden's newest model, the BC125AT, also sounds like it has the features you are looking for plus a little more, but it is a little more expensive. Also, keep in mind that Uniden isn't your only choice by any means, but I am a big Uniden fan, so that's all I know about. :)

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I'd agree with gdpzpaul4, the 72XLT is a decent choice, along with it's big brother the 95xlt.

I would also suggest the GRE PSR-100 if you like GRE over Uniden.

All three can be found here, if you want to look over the details: https://www.scannermaster.com/Portable_Scanners_s/15.htm

If cost is an issue, CraigsList is a goldmine for older basic scanners... You could spend as little as $20.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I need a scanner that is not prone to overloading and that does not have sensitivity issues.

If you're looking for a scanner that isn't prone to overloading, then stay away from GRE or GRE-built Radio Shack models, and stick with Uniden.

Your Pro-433 was built by Uniden and should not suffer from front end overload. If it does, you may have a very strong local signal that would overload just about any receiver, which you should investigate and deal with before buying a new scanner as the solution.

Are you experiencing overload on particular bands or a range of frequencies? Is the Pro-433 setup as a base scanner, or are you mobile? External antenna or the back-of-set antenna? Are there any nearby AM/FM transmission towers, paging towers, cell phone towers, etc.?

safetyobc

The Uniden BC125AT is a great scanner! It works very well in high interference environments. It only covers up to 512 MHz though. So if you need 800 MHz coverage this isn't the scanner for you.

Also what type of antenna are you using? Are you using an exterior antenna? Also, you may be better off to buy an FM filter if there are nearby strong transmissions that could be causing the interference.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
that scanner is actually a pretty poor choice for someone who doesnt want overloading and sensitivity issues.

That's why it was an after thought, only if he preferred GRE over Uniden.

You also have to remember we don't know too much about his situation... He could be right under a cell tower(Etc.) making any scanner prone to these problems. As Safety pointed out he might just need a trap.

fineshot1

Any scanner or receiver can be easily overloaded under the right conditions.

All scanners have wide open front ends due to the wide frequency range they
are designed to cover and there are too many unknown variables about the
OP's local situation to speculate on what would be a good scanner for him.

As was mentioned he could have some very local strong signal transmitters
nearby to him.

scannerman200 - your just going to have to experiment around like many of
us have to do in order to determine what is best for your situation. It may take
some trial and error for you to determine that so do not get discouraged as it
may take some time and expense on your part.

I think the best advise would be to figure out what is causing your overload
scenario and search for the appropriate filter or filters to alleviate the problem.

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
Not so sure if its overloading, but with the Pro-433 and Pro-2054 I can barely hear my local depts on vhf with the stock antenna. They are staticy and cut in/out sometimes. My BC355C does not have this issue with the stock antenna, but I need to use the BC355C as a mobile unit and need another base unit that will recieve well with the stock antenna.

Phreakin318

amazon.com has about the cheapest prices that i have seen so far other than the cables that are the same price, i am so aggervated at uniden for the way they sell there software,key and cable all seperate from the scanner they should have included 1 of them then sold the other seperate in my opinion. the antenna i am useing at the moment is a antron99 for a cb pushed up in the air on a pushuppole. i can hear at least 5 parish's away not bad for a BC95XLT i guess?

Last edited:

Phreakin318

i think walmart has a uniden base 800mzh for around$90.00-$100.00 as long as u can deal with the nascar logo i see people complain about that alot lol walmart.com they dont sell them in stores anymore at least around my area

Status
Not open for further replies.