Basics of HF propagation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For years, the AE4RV website has been simply stellar in its very simple approach to introducing a newcomer to HF propagation. Sadly, his site uses the Flash player; as support is beginning to die out, we need another reference that is similar in its approach

Folks just starting out would need just a simple description - there are places that describe the A, K indexes and solar flux in great detail, but new hobbyists don't need to be floored by all that detail (as they sometimes are). Yes I fully agree that it's important, but being simple about describing such things goes a long way to prevent the glassy eye look (and teachers know that look all too well).

Any candidate websites that fit the bill? Mike

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Agreed, I've tried many times to gain a layman's view to figuring out how the band are preforming with just a few parameters. But the folks who really understand it, understand it is more than just a few parameters, and explaining them is when I go glossy-eyed. I do use the K and A values, but they are really so broad in definition that I have a hard time seeing any "band good" or "band bad" determination. More like, it could be good if you were some place else who knows where and on band who knows which and a time of who knows when...

ab3a

I am not an expert. But I have spent some time reading about Short Wave and Medium Wave propagation. And @n5rv is correct. There are many parameters to consider. The path your radio wave takes can have some affect, the angle of radiation from your antenna has some effect, the stability of the earth's geomagnetic field has some effect, the presence/strength of the Aurora has an effect...

Here are some resources you may want to look at:
HFWIN32 for Windows-95 & NT systems (source code for VOACAP)
And if you just like pretty pictures of the sun, see

These will correlate with what you hear on the air. Keep in mind, when there are eruptions on the sun (or on Jupiter) you will hear the effects of the X-rays first, and then later the effects of the Ionosphere from particle storms will have other effects.

Jim41

For years, the AE4RV website has been simply stellar in its very simple approach to introducing a newcomer to HF propagation. Sadly, his site uses the Flash player; as support is beginning to die out, we need another reference that is similar in its approach

Folks just starting out would need just a simple description - there are places that describe the A, K indexes and solar flux in great detail, but new hobbyists don't need to be floored by all that detail (as they sometimes are). Yes I fully agree that it's important, but being simple about describing such things goes a long way to prevent the glassy eye look (and teachers know that look all too well).

Any candidate websites that fit the bill? Mike

Mike,

Take a look at this website:

Jim41

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Looks about as technical as the PDF -it really looks good, to be sure, but for a newcomer....?

Think KISS folks. Simple stuff first. Walk before you run....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.