Batavia, NY - Sheriff's staff programming 520 new portable radios for firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTRO2001

Harris radios ?

Holly cow this is going to go well with these Harris radio they suck bad. I know a county and city I not going to name names but they has these radio and they were told they would be the best. Wrong they worked for about a month then craped out. The Harris/MaCom radios are the worest radios in the world but don't tell that to the Milwaukee City Police Cheif Edward Flynn he thinks that the Open sky system by harris/macom is the greatest even it has trouble but he doesn't blame the radios he blames his officers beucase they need more training.

RF-Burns

I'm not the grammar or spelling police but WOW. Open Sky is far different than the system being installed up here. If Harris is such junk why do they hold the largest communications contract for the US Military and many other foreign governments. The system is up and operating and sounds and acts great. Far better than the old Motorola Type II System that we were on.

QUOTE=ASTRO2001;2113287]Holly cow this is going to go well with these Harris radio they suck bad. I know a county and city I not going to name names but they has these radio and they were told they would be the best. Wrong they worked for about a month then craped out. The Harris/MaCom radios are the worest radios in the world but don't tell that to the Milwaukee City Police Cheif Edward Flynn he thinks that the Open sky system by harris/macom is the greatest even it has trouble but he doesn't blame the radios he blames his officers beucase they need more training.[/QUOTE]

Parma ohio's radio system uses Harris radios and the system SUCKS nothing but trouble when the city went from analog to Digital

lafd55

The NYSP uses Harris portables.... Not to mention every state police and park police vehicle in the state are installed with Harris/MACOM mobiles...... Also the PAPD uses Harris EDAC system.

sfd119

I'm not the grammar or spelling police but WOW. Open Sky is far different than the system being installed up here. If Harris is such junk why do they hold the largest communications contract for the US Military and many other foreign governments. The system is up and operating and sounds and acts great. Far better than the old Motorola Type II System that we were on.

QUOTE=ASTRO2001;2113287]Holly cow this is going to go well with these Harris radio they suck bad. I know a county and city I not going to name names but they has these radio and they were told they would be the best. Wrong they worked for about a month then craped out. The Harris/MaCom radios are the worest radios in the world but don't tell that to the Milwaukee City Police Cheif Edward Flynn he thinks that the Open sky system by harris/macom is the greatest even it has trouble but he doesn't blame the radios he blames his officers beucase they need more training.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's an OpenSky system...they said (article) it can be monitored with the new Uniden scanner.

D

DaveNF2G

Nobody in New York is going to buy OpenSky after the NYSWN debacle.

RF-Burns

Hense the reason I said it's far different system than Opensky

I don't think it's an OpenSky system...they said (article) it can be monitored with the new Uniden scanner.[/QUOTE]

sfd119

Hense the reason I said it's far different system than Opensky

I don't think it's an OpenSky system...they said (article) it can be monitored with the new Uniden scanner.

Sorry, I think I hit the wrong quote button. I was trying to quote the poster above you.

DisasterGuy

The system is P25 Phase II as indicated by anyone that takes a look at the labels on the boxes that are stacked up in the pictures that clearly say P25 Trunking.

Rather than attempting to reply to comments that simply say "Harris sucks", I will simply say that I have been using P5100's, P7100's, P7300's, P5500s, Orions, M7100s, M7300s, XG-75ps and Unity portables for several years on four separate EDACS systems as well as on P25 Trunked systems. I have never had any significant issues with any of them.

While the XG-25 wouldn't be my choice for a fire service portable (we spec the XG-75p for fire service), I do have several XG-25p and XG-25m units on order that I anticipate accepting delivery of in the next few weeks.

As for infrastructure, you can say what you will about OpenSky however I will take a Mastr II, Mastr III or Mastr V over any other base station any day of the week. The Mastr II and Mastr III are some of the most solid and longest running base stations ever built. There are still plenty of 30+ year old Mastr II radios carrying systems around the country.

sfd119

The system is P25 Phase II as indicated by anyone that takes a look at the labels on the boxes that are stacked up in the pictures that clearly say P25 Trunking.

P25 Trunking does not automatically mean Phase II.

RF-Burns

The system is being launched 2/14/2014 in Phase II. The system was bought with a grant and the conditions state it has to be launched in Phase II.

P25 Trunking does not automatically mean Phase II.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I would start listening for a P25 control channel on one of the 800 MHz frequency pairs. You never know when it's going to show up, or when the system will be brought online for fine tuning purposes prior to the start up.

73's

Ron

sfd119

The system is being launched 2/14/2014 in Phase II. The system was bought with a grant and the conditions state it has to be launched in Phase II.

I'm sure it is, but the poster said above me "It has P25 so it's Phase II".

Status
Not open for further replies.