BATF marked units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I was down at Cherry Creek for the Art Festival over the weekend and saw a marked police-type vehicle with the large letters "BATF" on the side. It was going in the opposite direction in heavy traffic, so I couldn't chase it down for a photo. Anyone know what (or who) I saw?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I knew that. Myv request should have been more specific.
I've never heard of any federal investigative agency having marked police units (other than crime lab-type trucks.) Was this really the ATF or some security guard company that figured out a company name that has initials "BATF?"

yooperinco

Me Too

I saw one on I-70 between the Empire exit and Georgetown. I was headed west, it was headed east. If I remember it was a white vehicle with BATF on the side.

skipshark773

Alot of different federal agencies have marked units. The secret service's uniformed division does, so does the FBI, DOD, ect. I have never seen a marked ATF car, but often when I used to live in DC I used to see the ATF EOD trucks alot. I would assume what you saw did belong to the ATF; I do believe that it is against federal law to duplicate a federal law agencies emblems and markings, so I doubt a security agency would have done so.

DTRS_Master

I have seen these, too and as I recall, it is a private security firm - and they have a web site, but I cannot seem to find it via internet searches. The web address was displayed somewhere on their vehicles, possibly on the rear, so look for it next time someone sees them. It's not a marked Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms vehicle - that is certain. Take a look at the driver next time you see one and you'll know what I mean. :)

spqrzilla

I didn't think that the ATF called themselves "BATF" any longer.

I just looked at their website at "www.atf.gov" and while the expanded name is "Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms" (*) they list their initials as just "ATF" and that's all I've seen on equipment and jackets for some time.

(*) - alcohol, tobacco and firearms - the making of fine party, who's bringing the chips?

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I personally know a ATF fire investigator, and his vehicle is NOT marked. I'm pretty sure (as has been mentioned already) that only "specialty" units such as the ATF response vehicle, are marked.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Kinda what I figured. Didn't mention in my original post that the style of the logo looked just like the large, slightly slanted "NYPD" ones, blue on a white car with a light bar. It was leaving the Cherry Creek Mall west garage area.

Status
Not open for further replies.