Batteries and Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
OK, not sure if this belongs here but here goes.
I bought a bunch of rechargeable batteries for my 396xt, and noticed that they all have different mAh designations. I have 2600, 2500 RS, 2250 came w/scanner, and 1900 costco. All batteries are 1.2V. My question, is there a differance in the use times, charge times or length of life in the different numbers? Can they all be charged together.? Can they be mixed in the charger? Last but not least, Which is the better choice??

OCO

-Is there a differance in the use times, charge times or length of life in the different numbers? Yes, assuming they are all in new condition, and the same composition, the bigger the mAh rating, the longer it will last in use and the longer it will take to recharge.
-Can they all be charged together.? NO - do not mix types....ever - in use or in charging.(well, I guess you could mix them in use, but results will be based on the lowest capacity cell)
-Can they be mixed in the charger? NO - Do not mix types - lower capacity ones can be overcharged
-Which is the better choice?? Biggest = best (again, assuming all are the same composition - Nicad, NiMh , or whatever)

Bushwack

I bought a bunch of rechargeable batteries for my 396xt, and noticed that they all have different mAh designations. I have 2600, 2500 RS, 2250 came w/scanner, and 1900 costco. All batteries are 1.2V. My question, is there a differance in the use times, charge times or length of life in the different numbers? Can they all be charged together.? Can they be mixed in the charger? Last but not least, Which is the better choice??

FWIW...of what little time I have used my new 396XT, I have found the 2700's that came with my La Crosse BC1000 charger give me about 30% more time then the alternates (2100) that came with the scanner.

trkntrlrman

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Guys, think I got it. so now i just look for the higher numbers. unfortunatly there not available just anywear. and by the time you pay shipping on line there way over priced... RS is 2500 so guess they get the buisness... OK i just found some 2900 1.5V batteries for a good price, will the 1.5 volts put the voltage to hi for the 396XT? that would be 4.5 V total the adapter plug says 6V 800 ma . I should be ok I think...

Last edited:

OCO

No - please No! Your radio came with 1.2 volt batteries - that's a total of 3.6 volts . Using higher 1.5 volt cells (total of 4.5 volts) will result in an overvoltage condition that could damage it. The 6 volt charging input is before internal voltage regulation, and is not the voltage the radio runs on. Stay with 1.2 volt cells, but get the largest mAh batteries you can find.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
4.5V is fine. The scanner can handle alkalines with no issues (but don't try to charge them). Most rechargeables have a rated terminal voltage of 1.2 or 1.25V.

If you use cells of different capacities, when the lowest-rated cell is depleted, the remaining cells will reverse-charge the dead cell, which will rapidly deteriorate that cell. Big no-no.

OCO

Thanks for correcting that, Paul...gotta quit staying up 'till 3:00 AM. I was thinking of those higher voltage (Powergenix 1.6 volt NiZn) cells that were mentioned a couple of months ago... Glad you're keeping an "eye" on things.

trkntrlman: Sorry for the brain fade.... I think the rest of what I said stands. <smacking head >

Last edited:

trkntrlrman

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, glad there is someone out there keeping us less educated guys on the right path..I'm sure a lot of people just like myself have spent a lot of money on batteries not reolizing that there really damaging them by useing differant types. most of us just look at the Voltage and leave it at that. I now have to find a charger that will charge the batries individually in a group, as my current charger requires at least two at a time, it will not charge the three required for the scanner. I have to load 2 or 4. so I end up mixing them up at times. I will have to find a better source for my batteries. Again Thanks for the input..

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, glad there is someone out there keeping us less educated guys on the right path..I'm sure a lot of people just like myself have spent a lot of money on batteries not reolizing that there really damaging them by useing differant types. most of us just look at the Voltage and leave it at that. I now have to find a charger that will charge the batries individually in a group, as my current charger requires at least two at a time, it will not charge the three required for the scanner. I have to load 2 or 4. so I end up mixing them up at times. I will have to find a better source for my batteries. Again Thanks for the input..

Might I suggest the POWEREX MH-C801D, it has 8 charging bays for AA and AAA, each bay on it's own circuit, you can charge any number of batteries from 1 to 8 individually, and I believe different mAh ratings at the same time. Also has fast/slow charge options and conditioning, I also use their batteries (2700mAh)
I think I paid $79 for it and 8AA batteries.

oft

Premium Subscriber

=======

Because you specifically mentioned the 396xt, My answer is specifically related to the 396xt.

Keep the NiMH batteries in the scanner the same brand / series/ mAhr if you are using the scanner as the charger for the batteries. Higher number for mAhr (milliAmpere hour) means more battery capacity and with the constant fixed load of the scanner, it is safe to say that the higher mAhr batteries would last longer for use. However, as the batteries age and/or are subjected to numerous charge/discharge cycles, the capacity over time will decrease and battery life will diminish. My scanner when purchased new came with GP 2250mAhr batteries. Therefore, I would not recommend putting a NiMH battery with less mAhr capacity in the scanner. Hopefully, Uniden thought out the possibility of replacing the GP batteries when they die with other brands of batteries when designing the charger portion of the scanner.

If you use an external charger instead of the scanner, Always charge the same brand / mAhr batteries with the charger made by the same manufacturer specifically designed for that particular series of battery where possible. NiMH chargers are time based not because of some specific time it takes to charge, but because that is the cheap and dirty way to regulate the internal temperature of the battery cell is by switching the battery current of the charger on and off throughout the charging regime. In a NiMH battery, the temperature inside the cell is more critical to monitor than Ni-Cad batteries so temperature regulation is critical. Because there are no thermal sensors in a standard AA battery to sense temperature, on-off switching of the battery charging current with internal digital timer circuits in the charging circuitry is how the battery charger designers regulate the temperature. Different battery manufacturers have slightly different chemical compounds and because of this, the battery capacities, temperature properties and the internal impedance of the battery can be vastly different between two different manufacturers and therefore the charging regime has to be adjusted to prolong battery life.

Literally, the chemical formulas and batch process manufacturing is tightly controlled when making the battery cell for consistency between different batteries bearing the same label as well as the battery chargers are specifically designed around a battery cell made to the strict manufacturing standards in order to both charge a battery to full capacity without damaging the battery during the charging process as well as prolong the overall lifespan of the battery as long as possible.

In reference to the guy who mentioned using akalines in the 396xt, Yes, you can but you have to remember to slide the switch in the battery compartment over to "akaline" in order to disable the charger feature of the scanner before placing the akaline batteries inside the scanner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.