Batteries for BC246T, how do you charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

Thanks to all regarding my post about rechargeable or regular batteries. Now the next question, do you charge in the scanner or an external charger?

CStarr59

I always charge in an external charger because it is more convenient for me to do so. Plus I believe it is safer as I don't want to damage my radio if something went wrong with one of the batteries. But many people have great success and always charge from inside the radio. So it is a materr of personal choice and what works for you. I have several different scanners, so an external charger works best for me. The most important thing is to buy a quality set of batteries to start with.

pathalogical

I also have a 246. I used to charge inside the scanner and never had any problems doing so. When you have several handheld scanners, it is easier to use a smart charger which allows you to choose the charge speed. I have been using a LaCrosse BC 900. Many others also use the Maha chargers.

sffire

Premium Subscriber
I also use the external LaCrosse BC 900 charger. I always keep freshly charged batteries ready to go in the scanners. I have heard that using the scanner while charging the batteries burn out the batteries faster.

frankcastle

I charge mine in the scanner (396XT). I have been running the scanner pretty much 24-7 for about a year and have only had to change batteries once so far. I plug it in to run and charge overnight, then bring it to work the next day. It will run on battery power until early afternoon. I then plug it in until I go home at 5. It again runs on battery power until about 8-9. The it gets plugged in until about 6:30am.

Status
Not open for further replies.