Batteries in the scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

godskidz

Hi all.
I am wondering while rechargeable batteries are in my bc246t when the charger is plugged in are the batteries still charging while the scanner is on or does it have to be off to charge.
I wonder this cause I plug it in at night but listen to it all night while in bed.
Thanks
God Bless

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I *BELIEVE* the 246 stops charging when the batteries are full... IF that is the case then you should be okay for just one night

take caution..
however i never charge batts in my scanner
would never leave it plugged in for more then a night or if i left the house.
better to ruin a charger then a whole scanner if a battery failed leaked or caused a problem

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
All scanners use time-based charging. There is no way to determine full-charge state on multiple cells charged at low rates in series. That said, since the charge rate is low (C/10 or less, depending on cell capacity), most excess charge is easily dissipated in heat and does not significantly affect battery life.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
godskidz:

I used to charge the batteries in my BCD396T overnight and it worked fine, but then I read a post on here that posed the question "what happens if the batteries overheat and damage the scanner" or something to that effect. That put the idea in my head about "what if"? I'm not really in the mood to have to replace a $500 (approx.) unit because it was destroyed by a few dollars worth of batteries.

So to prevent this tragedy, I went to WalMart and got an Enercell 23-787, which was in the twenty dollar range and came with 4 AA's, 4 AAA's, a 12v CLA adapter (for your vehicle) and user's guide and it even has a USB port to charge other devices like a mobile phone or MP3 player, etc. if you get a USB cable. So now, if something goes wrong, the cost of a charger is a lot less than a new scanner.

Russell

P.S. Loved Cape May....did my basic training there...nice area!

Last edited:

gsquared18

Premium Subscriber
Never thought the on-board charger could bug out and screw up my radio. Plus, my 396XT takes forever to charge anyway so why not just use a normal charger outside of the radio. Man I love these forums!

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Who knew?

Never thought the on-board charger could bug out and screw up my radio. Plus, my 396XT takes forever to charge anyway so why not just use a normal charger outside of the radio. Man I love these forums!

I'm sure most folks don't really give any thought to the batteries causing damage to the scanner - I know that it never occured to me, but just in case....

I would rather replace an inexpensive battery charger than a $500+ scanner, wouldn't you?

Russell

W9NES

Do yourself a big favor.Never charge the batteries in the scanner.Get yourself a Maha Charger and charge the batteries in the charger. I have never charged any of my batteries in any of many scanners that I use her in the Communications Center.If you continue to charge the batteries in the scanner you could cause damage to your scanner.Your batteries could start leaking battery acid that could put a end to your scanner.

SCPD

QRT

It has been noted here on RR in many places that it is a dumb idea to charge your batteries in your scanner. It is a much better idea to use an external charger. Not only is it safer .. but the external charger does a much better job of it anyways.

Maybe we can convert the dumb people that still charge their batteries in their scanners to the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.