Batteries safe on plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theborg

Good morning

Stupid question, I am looking to buy a Baofeng UV-82 and take it with me while I travel.

I am worried these batteries from china might not be safe on planes. any feedback?

thanks

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Almost all batteries are from china. LOL if they are the batteries that came with the radio you should be fine. If your worried about failure take the battery pack off the radio and store it by its self.

kma371

QRT
I think the restriction on batteries is they can't be loose. If they are installed into the device you should be fine.

Good morning

Stupid question, I am looking to buy a Baofeng UV-82 and take it with me while I travel.

I am worried these batteries from china might not be safe on planes. any feedback?

thanks

Rred

The various international advisory and governing bodies are debating "lithium" batteries all the time. "Safe" is a relative word and after every fire they are restricting them more. If this is general aviation and you don't want a fire while you are flying, out the radio in something like a metal ammunition can so it is confined in flight. For one small battery that should be enough. If you are flying commercial...the airline will probably consider it safe no matter where it is flying, but again, in a sealed (air tight) metal container is probably all the added safety you can have.

Traveling with the battery ~halfway discharged also adds to safety, but of course that's a problem if you need to use it.

A 30 caliber (308) surplus ammo can happens to make a generally good container for one h/t, one charging base, and accessories, whether you're traveling or not. FWIW.

And since the thugs working for the TSA are often a bit on edge and not the sharpest minds...If you do use an ammo can, paint it some other color, nothing "military", and consider sticking on some labels like "Fragile, radio equipment" something that helps them understand why the X-ray is showing wires and things inside. Wires scare them.

Last edited:

kc4jgc

This week, I traveled via Southwest from Norfolk to Orlando. I had both my Kenwood TH-F6A ht & Pro-106 with wall chargers in one of my carry-ons. I didn't wrap the wires on the walwarts; the TSA politely said he needed to look inside. Seeing two radios, he cleared them. On the return trip, I took the time to wrap the wires up; passed the x-ray without issues. I detached the battery pack from my laptop & ht on the way down but kept them attached on the return, again with no issues either way. Of course, YMMV by airport/inspector.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.