Battery Backup for Mobile Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatshovel

Hello,
Just wondering what everyone at home uses for backup power to power the shack when the current goes out. Right now I have a PSR600 and 2 BC895XLTS hooked up the a UPS that provides power in case the electricity goes out. I know that this is not the ideal solution, but I don't really want to wire up ends to fit all the radios and then run them to a battery as i think this would be the best solution and just keep it on a float charger and I would not have to have the UPS. I do have a generator but it is not wired up the the house with a transfer switch just yet. Like the idea of the UPS and generator idea, radios run off the ups till I can get the generator running and plugged into the transfer switch. Maybe wiring the radios straight to a car battery will give me a better backup solution, would like to keep the radios on during a power failure. That way I can hook up the UPS to my computer or perhaps a tv. What do you guys use as a backup solution?

Thanks,
Joey

fineshot1

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The downside of using a UPS or inverter is that they are normally designed for short intermittent duty. In addition to that, they are not very efficient. Much of your battery capacity will be depleted by the overhead of the UPS/inverter itself.

Be careful of what type of battery you use inside your home. The sealed Gel-Cel types are the safest.

Status
Not open for further replies.