Battery Charging Problems on a Whistler 1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Fine. So use the AA adapter, throw the battery pack and docking station away when you buy the scanner. ;)

In my request to Whistler, what I ask for is BOTH options, similar to what was done on their WS1088 which comes with two battery trays, one for recharable's, one for Alkaline's. In this case, we should get a battery pack, and a battery tray that holds 3 or 4 AA's. Both fit into the same slot. The battery pack has leads on the bottom for charging in the dock, the AA tray does not. So even if you "accidently" install the AA's tray and then drop it in the charger, nothing happens.

Your happy! I'm happy! And Whistler will sell 1000's more scanners because they are now known as the best company with the most features! :D

See above, we will ALL be happy. :D

Show me thw removeable battery pack for the PRO18 PRO668 PSR800 WS1080 WS1088 and the TRX-1 atleast we know what GRE/WHISTLER scanners have removeable battery packs. Now you show me the Removeable battery pack in the WHISTLER WS1088 and I will shut up.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Show me thw removeable battery pack for the PRO18 PRO668 PSR800 WS1080 WS1088 and the TRX-1 atleast we know what GRE/WHISTLER scanners have removeable battery packs. Now you show me the Removeable battery pack in the WHISTLER WS1088 and I will shut up.

Sorry, I meant the WS1040. Here's a snap shot from the manual...

But I'm not sure why that should "shut you up"?? We are talking about a "wish list" for a new scanner. But they also could retro fit a battery pack for the TRX scanners. Just throw away the cover, and make a pack that fits into the space and it becomes it's own cover....

Attachments

• Battery WS1040.JPG
    Battery WS1040.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 140

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
We know our scanner models and you were wrong and rude. You have been rude to most all here and I just proved you were wrong on one point. I understand you have the right to your opinion. Just as we have the right to our opinion. Now this is the end as I will no longer make points that you will not acknowledge any point other than your own. I own and use over $8000.00 in scanners and I for one am glad the over priced Battery packs that we had to buy are gone.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Bud, what the hell are you talking about?

Are you ok? You might want to go speak with somebody.... seriously.

Anywho. On the battery subject, nobody is "right" or "wrong". I would "LIKE" to see it one way, and you would "like" to see it another way. Nothing "wrong" with either of those, and nothing "rude" about either of those.

Now, my idea is to have them make and sell scanners that do both. I think that is a GREAT idea, which should make you happy. If that does not make you happy, well, I think you should move on to another thread. I don't know what to tell ya. Life is short buddy, enjoy it.

SCPD

QRT
Your idea is a great idea .. to only you. ;)

The biggest reason why your plan fails .. cause you cannot buy your battery packs at 7-11 when your battery dies. That makes it a failure. Uniden did battery packs .. they sucked. Why .. you don't see them now on scanners.

Besides .. when you are on an airplane and your get burnt from your headphones or your exploding vape ****** from hell in your pocket, well maybe then the status quo is a great idea.

But then again .. maybe Uniden and Whistler need a nice lawsuit on their hands to cut a hole in their profits ? Just ask Samsung about the gaping hole that it created for them.

Hmm .. I bet they stay with the status quo, cause nothing is broken.

Battery packs are a bad fit for scanners. Period.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Your idea is a great idea .. to only you. ;)

Sorry to inform you, there is a whole bunch of guys, long time fanboys like you 2, who agree with me. Go check the "wishlist" threads, you will be unhappy to find many folks asking for the same thing.

The biggest reason why your plan fails .. cause you cannot buy your battery packs at 7-11 when your battery dies. That makes it a failure. Uniden did battery packs .. they sucked. Why .. you don't see them now on scanners.

Again, you 2 really need to read closer. Yes you will be able to buy your "battery packs" at 7-11 when your battery dies. Because it will take AA batteries, what about that do you not understand? It will take BOTH the LiOn battery pack, OR regular AA's. In addition, you will likely never have dead batteries on the road because the battery pack will last 10 times longer than the AA's. So it will last a drive across the entire country taking 5 days, running 24x7.

You will then realize, wow, that was a good idea and become one of us! :D

Besides .. when you are on an airplane and your get burnt from your headphones or your exploding vape ****** from hell in your pocket, well maybe then the status quo is a great idea.

But then again .. maybe Uniden and Whistler need a nice lawsuit on their hands to cut a hole in their profits ? Just ask Samsung about the gaping hole that it created for them.

Hmm .. I bet they stay with the status quo, cause nothing is broken.

Battery packs are a bad fit for scanners. Period.

This argument is very funny. Let me ask you something, what makes you think your current RECHARGABLE batteries you are using, are any "safer" than the new ones we are asking for? You do remember you are already using, ah, these "dangerous" rechargeable batteries right? If they are such an issue and scare, why don't you just use throw away Alkalines in yoru scanner and enjoy filling up the landfills with some of the most toxic chemicals known to mankind.

SCPD

QRT
Machria .. I am taking ownership (as you asked).

You have ****** off several of us fanboys as you call us, and some are not willing to come forward to say so, but you need to realize that maybe now is the time to change your ways.

There will come a time where no one is going to be willing to help you. So .. you need to think deep about your demeanor, and how you come across to others.

I doubt you are making many friends here as a result.

I know the moderators will likely clean this thread, but someone needs to tell you 'the facts' as you seem to like facts. Several already have told you about your attitude and it does not appear to be working.

The thing ... I do not need Radio Reference, I already know all I will ever need to know about scanners and radios. As a result, if the moderators ban me .. I can (and will) still sleep at night.

You .. well, it is up to you now. I will leave this thought alone for 24 hours .. and if nothing changes, back to my ignore list permanently. I am not going to comment further, period.

CycleSycho

:) I'll vote for a 'clique' ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique ) ban. Seems when bullies gather and gang up on someone, moderators have to step in. Only problem I have with that solution is when a moderator is IN one of the cliques (happens more than people realize). We also know (or should know) many banned 'members' usually just come back in as a newly registered member and continue on with the behaviors that got them originally banned, huh.... So, if a shoe fits, rethink your position/post before the 'send' button is pressed, OR maybe your only means of social interactions are through forums and anonymous bullying. It would be refreshing to see how many people are deemed NOT as important as they think they are. I speak here from a position of being on the wrong end of cyber bullies, and a moderator who was one of the cohort of the cyber bully (no, not this site). Remember, you CHOOSE to post a reply. All too often the ability to keep the keyboard silent, is just to hard to ignore. Peace be with all! :)

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Machria .. I am taking ownership (as you asked).

You have ****** off several of us fanboys as you call us, and some are not willing to come forward to say so, but you need to realize that maybe now is the time to change your ways.

There will come a time where no one is going to be willing to help you. So .. you need to think deep about your demeanor, and how you come across to others.

I doubt you are making many friends here as a result.

I know the moderators will likely clean this thread, but someone needs to tell you 'the facts' as you seem to like facts. Several already have told you about your attitude and it does not appear to be working.

The thing ... I do not need Radio Reference, I already know all I will ever need to know about scanners and radios. As a result, if the moderators ban me .. I can (and will) still sleep at night.

You .. well, it is up to you now. I will leave this thought alone for 24 hours .. and if nothing changes, back to my ignore list permanently. I am not going to comment further, period.

You really need some help. I don't even know what your talking about. So let me try and understand you. You think because my opinion is different than yours on how we should charge our scanners, that I have a "bad attitude"? Really? LOL

Get a grip of yourself. I'm perfectly happy, I love my new scanner, I still hate with a passion my old Uniden BCD396 as it is really a TERRIBLE scanner (interface wise). And I still think they scanner companies should use Lithium Ion battery packs and charging docks, not AA batteries. And lastly, I think we ALL need to keep pushing them in order to start making modernized scanners that match the rest of the worlds technology advances.

OR, we can sit back and turn back the dial and just keep enjoying the 70's! Your choice.

And ps- No, I'm not going to "change". I'm 53 years old, happily retired and very comfortable. But thanks!

LOL

Machria

Premium Subscriber
:) I'll vote for a 'clique' ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique ) ban. Seems when bullies gather and gang up on someone, moderators have to step in. Only problem I have with that solution is when a moderator is IN one of the cliques (happens more than people realize). We also know (or should know) many banned 'members' usually just come back in as a newly registered member and continue on with the behaviors that got them originally banned, huh.... So, if a shoe fits, rethink your position/post before the 'send' button is pressed, OR maybe your only means of social interactions are through forums and anonymous bullying. It would be refreshing to see how many people are deemed NOT as important as they think they are. I speak here from a position of being on the wrong end of cyber bullies, and a moderator who was one of the cohort of the cyber bully (no, not this site). Remember, you CHOOSE to post a reply. All too often the ability to keep the keyboard silent, is just to hard to ignore. Peace be with all! :)

:wink: :D

You nailed it. A few of these guys get together on here, bow down to the manufacturers and protect them for some unknown reason (and I'd bet they don't even know why they do it!) and just jump down the throats of anyone who god forbid has an alternative opinion or idea. Kinda reminds me of the jackwaggons who proclaimed the earth was flat and deemed Mr. Columbus some kind of devil! LOL

Tim-B

While we are on the subject of recharge rates does anyone the recharge rate of the BC296D? I have a new pack of 2500 mAh batteries that last about 6 hours with the light and P25 card continuously on and then take a full day to recharge.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
While we are on the subject of recharge rates does anyone the recharge rate of the BC296D? I have a new pack of 2500 mAh batteries that last about 6 hours with the light and P25 card continuously on and then take a full day to recharge.

Yikes! My bcd396 takes 14 hours to charge, and runs about 6 hours on a full charge with normal use. Just ridiculous.

fffh242

Premium Subscriber
WS 1040

Not sure if you are having the same issue I had but, in settings I changed my batteries to NIMH and they weren't charging. Looked at battery info and it said "charger disabled ". I could not find anything in the crappy manual about it. Come to find out, long pressing the "scan" button turns the charging function on/off.

Eavesdrop517

I had the same problem, had to switch it back to alkaline battery setting. When I set it to nimh the low battery indicator would always flash

Status
Not open for further replies.