Battery Charging Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Will be purchasing a 436, and also want to get a AC 110V to USB wall wart for it.

I see all of them output 5 V

Three batteries, of course, equals 4.5 V.

a. Anything to be concerned about ?

b. And, is a 1 amp output enough to charge fully depleted batteries in a
reasonable time, or a larger current output desirable ?

Also, if anyone is using anything like this, brand/model recommendations ?

c. May go with an external battery charger instead, but sure sounds like a pain to remove the batteries each time, and re-insert a fresh pair. Haven't made up my mind yet, but re-charging in the unit sure sounds better, unless there is some inherent danger in doing so ?

Thoughts ?

Thanks for all the previous help too,
Bob

marksmith

The scanner only has a simple timer circuit. It won't sense an overheating battery and shut off. Terrible idea to charge in radio.

Any 5w wall wart with a standard mini USB will work. Keep a charged set of batteries in the radio even if using 110, or some features will not work.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Amazon. OPUS BTC-3100. I have the 2000 model, but cannot find it on Amazon. The 3100 is just as good.

BOBRR

Hi folks.

O.K., I'm convinced. Will get a battery charger and charge the batteries
outside the 436.

Question: I have a Uniden HomePatrol 1
Do you feel that it is also a very good idea to charge its batteries outside the unit ?

I never have; been a few years now, and have always just left the batteries alone.
Same potential problems ? Or, different ?

Again, thanks for all the help,
Bob

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Question: I have a Uniden HomePatrol 1
Do you feel that it is also a very good idea to charge its batteries outside the unit ?

I never have; been a few years now, and have always just left the batteries alone.
Same potential problems ? Or, different ?

Again, thanks for all the help,
Bob

Yes, you should always charge all batteries in a dedicated charger outside every scanner. Always better to be safe than sorry.

I also use the OPUS 2000 model and give it 5 stars. As greggk said the 3100 will be just as good. I don't know about the other chargers, but you can get a cigarette lighter adapter for the OPUS chargers to use in the car on trips.

sprite1741

Is charging a Uniden scanner any different than the millions of other devices that are charged in the unit. If so Uniden needs to supply some answers. I am trying to contact Uniden but having a hard time.

sprite1741

Is it bad to charge my BCD-436 with the USB? Seems a lot of posters are saying it is.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I was told a long time ago not to ask a question that you might not like the answer you may get.
We the USERS find it better to charge the batteries with an external charger that conditions the batteries when we want to. I also prefer to charge my batteries in a charger just so if a battery has a problem I do not loose a $500 plus scanner. Batteries overheat short out and I am not willing to cry to Uniden because my scanner is burnt up and not working. Uniden builds scanners not battery chargers so I had ruther pay for a charger that is smart and save my scanner.

sprite1741

I can only charge with the USB. I have to recharge overnight. If the batteries need to come out often they should have put one of those nylon battery removal straps in the compartment. I finally got my password straitened out and sent a email question on this to Uniden. I did a web search and can't find any info aa NIMH batteries damaging equipment from charging in it. Can you point me to an article.

sprite1741

Thank you, I had no idea. I have been charging my scanners for 10 years internally. Guess it's time to get a charger and send the 436 back. It has a short battery life and no way will I be fiddling with it's batteries daily. I get 2 days out of my 1040 and it's easier to get the batteries out with the 4 cell pack. I used to do the external charging years ago with my 396t, but when I sold it I sold the charger with it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The 436 is a great scanner I go through 1 and 1/2 sets of batteries a day and I have no problem. I do not even charge batteries in my PRO106 PRO18 PRO668 PRO107 TRX-1 and UNIDEN BCD436HP. All new scanners are going to be the same you have a scanner that is very capable of your needs no reason to drop it for no reason. You can get a good charger and 8 aa batteries and get 16 to 20 hours out of 2 sets and charge them in an hour in the maha 801D. These charge battery sets come with battery holders for your batteries. I carry a SPARE battery for my E F Johnson 51SL Fire Department Walkie.
ALSO I get the same run time on 3AA batteries as my TRX-1 on 4AA batteries the same as my PRO668 and PRO18 on run times.

sprite1741

Thanks I will get it all straitened out. The 436 is been on a see saw with me. It already spent 4 days back in the box, then I got out for 2nd chance. I am trying hard to like it. If I have to remove the batteries I will salvage one of those nylon straps to put under them so I can pull them out easier. I am going down the road to look for a charger.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Under normal circumstances with quality batteries charging in the unit itself poses almost no risk. The very low current charging used allows the batteries to dissipate virtually all excess charge as heat without significantly reducing the life of the batteries. While there are isolated reports (as linked above) of meltdowns, if you read the above links:

1) No mention by the poster that it was being charged at the time.
2) User tried to charge Alkaline batteries.
3) Battery was not being charged at the time.
4) No mention by the original poster that it was being charged at the time.

The only time I've had batteries fail during charge was when using a high-current external charger.

The only time I've had batteries fail in a scanner was due to a loose part (screw) in an engineering sample that created a short. That one was potentially embarrassing, as I was minutes away from getting into the security line at the airport when my carry-on started smoking. Fortunately, I was able to pop out the batteries and no one else seemed to notice.

I can agree that the best way to get a rapid, full charge into the batteries is by using an external charger. I have a MAHA MH-C808M in my office that gets regular use.

Rred

"Three batteries, of course, equals 4.5 V."
Well, no. That's simply wrong. Three alkaline batteries will give you 4.5 volts, but 3 NiCd's or NiMh batteries will give you only 1.25V per battery, for 3.75V at full charge. And they need about 10% more voltage to recharge slowly. Typically if the device has a USB charging input, it also has the right internals to drop that 5v source to whatever the batteries actually need for reasonable charging, like 4.25-4.5 volts.
No big deal.

Your scanner was not designed by middle school kids at programming camp, it was designed by engineers and then reviewed by liability lawyers to make sure it wouldn't catch fire or explode, and then reviewed by accountants (aka "forensic engineers") to see if they could remove any parts to lower the production costs without creating any problems.

If you can't trust it to work as designed, send it back. because it might catch fire and explode. Incidentally, fire departments and industry associations all say that wall arts are among the greatest cause of home fires, even the UL/CE approved ones. So if you really want to be safe, throw out the rechargeable batteries and just buy the brand-name alkalines in the store. Not online, because a lot of those are actually counterfeits, but from a brand-name store that sells the real thing.

FWIW.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I charged batteries in a new scanner both brands USB both with 2500 mil batteries after 5 to 6 hours were warm to touch (new Duracells) both scanners turned off. Yes I know but if a battery shorts out you just ate a scanner. Also basic OHM's LAW as voltage drops current goes up and that will nerver change.

sprite1741

I prefer to use the USB. There are posters on here that are encouraging people to not do that. That's why I was concerned. I need to charge the 436 every night, overnight. Sounds like I need not worry. Everything has some risk. I've been charging every device I have in the unit with no issues. I did not charge last night because of no external charger, forgot about it and and took the 436 out and it beeped the battery warning about 6 min. into my drive. When the display comes up about not recording because of low battery, will the unit still receive? I was driving and could not get to it right away and never heard anything but it was early morn and the scanner was mostly quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.