SDS100/SDS200: Battery door clip replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DJC

Thanks. I tried to obtain this part from Uniden and was told this is now an internal part and that I would have to send my SDS100 to Uniden to get it repaired for around $90. :(

I would be very curious to hear from our Uniden representative as to why Uniden offers replacement Battery Latches for their portable Marine radios, but not for the SDS100. The 2 parts are almost 100% identical. The only difference is the one for the Marine radios is about 1/8 inch shorter.

Jon’s battery door latch is the best solution.

Last edited:

bheisner

Premium Subscriber
Jon’s battery door latch is the best solution.

I agree. I ordered 2 Latches on Saturday and they just arrived today. :)

I also ordered the SDS100 Stand that he printed for $40.

The Carbon Fiber Latch and Stand are both available at the following store:

Attachments

• IMG_8061.jpg
    IMG_8061.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8062.jpg
    IMG_8062.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 160

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all. Ordered from jonwienke.
I live in Ottawa Canada. Great service from Jon. USPS was another issue. Over a month later it was delivered and took all but 2 minutes or less to install. Great product. Keep up the good Work Jon.
Ordered SMA adapter and Volume control unit. Again the big wait.

Jon1984

Premium Subscriber
My original clip from unidion just broke but after seeing all these good reviews I ordered 1 from Jon just waiting on it now..

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely, metal would most require a CNC machine, and realistically most likely not worth the return on investment with a limited buyer market.

Jon's is carbon fiber reinforced and isn't going to break. Just order it and stop looking for crappy alternatives that more than likely don't even exist!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know of someone considering making a metal battery clip for this poorly designed and problematic part.
Icom uses the exact same type of clip design for the battery hatch latch on their IC-R30 and one of their Marine rated radios.
Possibly other portable models also.
They have no issues with them.

If anything, it's poor quality materials used in Uniden's clip for the SDS100 and not a design issue.
Uniden also uses the same design on their marine band radio which uses the same case that the SDS100 uses. No problems with that radio's battery hatch latch that I'm aware of.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Anyone know of someone considering making a metal battery clip for this poorly designed and problematic part.
Metal is actually a bad idea. The clip needs to have a little bit of flex to snap into place and keep tension after popping over the detent on the battery cover. If the clip was steel or aluminum, you'd have to choose between it being extremely difficult to engage and disengage the clip (and accelerated wear on the battery cover engagement surface), and the clip fitting loosely after engagement.

The original Uniden clip is thinnest in the middle where it has the most stress, and that's where it pretty much always breaks. They appear to have done a silent upgrade at some point, but it's still not as thick as the clip I offer. I've sold several hundred so far, and while had a couple of heat warp failures from hot cars before I switched to CF/polycarbonate, nobody has broken one so far.

I have a collection of clips that failed QC for various cosmetic reasons, and hereby offer to send any interested party a free sample or two for testing, under the following conditions:

1. You agree to shoot a video of some sort of destructive testing of the clip(s), and post a link to said video here, Facebook, Youtube, etc. This can be as simple as trying to break the clip with your bare hands, or any other test you think might be informative and/or entertaining.

2. You agree to indemnify me against any liability for any embarrasment, loss of reputation, property damage, injury, or death that results from conducting the test(s), especially if they involve explosives, fire, firearms, falling anvils, power tools, swords, axes, tomahawks, high voltage, wood chippers, roadrunners, or giant boulders.

If you're cool with these terms & conditions, PM me.

hulka

Mine broke and a bought one of Jon’s clips. Had it in a few days even after ordering it later at night. You can feel the difference right away When you remove it from the package. It took my 2 minutes to install. I would recommend buying one and be done. Just my 2 cents from the peanut galler.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I didn't wait for mine to break. I bought one of Jon's clips and swapped it in the scanner. The original clip is in the box waiting for the day it's a rare and highly valuable collectors item. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.