SDS100/SDS200: Battery LED indicator control SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a number of posts similar to this but not identical, pardon me if this has already been addressed.

This is about the green/red/off LED on the right upper quadrant of the face.

What is being measured to effect transitioning from red to green to off etc?

The reason I ask is on my machine, the indicator frequently changes from green to red and vice versa for no apparent good reason.

In other words, if I have "charge while on" and the lower USB port is plugged with a cable supplying voltage, the light will come on either red or green.

The indicator seems to turn green when the battery is determined to be fully charged and turns red if it is not determined to be fully charged.

Here's where I'm confused: sometimes, when the LED is green and plugged into USB power (which as far as I can tell isn't interrupted), it will change to red while the voltage as displayed on the color panel is at a typical maximum (4.19 to 4.22V) .

Then after a while being red, it will go back to green again without evidence of an improved voltage.

I have also repeatedly experienced the "Low voltage on the charger" (or whatever it says) message which interrupts scanning until acknowledged, then "charge while on" has to be enabled again.

If there were one thing I'd like to see changed on this device, it would be to let it keep scanning and flash the LED red-green or something like that to signal low voltage.

Anyway, I've tried three different power sources and three different cables with this one SDS100 and it seems to all point toward a loose connection in the SDS100 between the USB port and whetever the electronic wizardry manages the power and raises the LED signals.

Any thoughts?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The first thing I did was add the voltage measurements for each the battery and the USB inputs to the display. This gives me positive indication of the status of the voltages. From my observation the light is red when it is charging, green when it deems the battery is charged. But it can turn off charging for a list of reasons.

The setting to enable charging (while on) seem to "automatically" get set to disabled if the input voltage goes "too low". I've seen it go back to enabled on its own and not do that (I had to reselect enabled manually). If the radio detects something is too hot, it will also discontinue charging (and turn off the red LED). I also believe there is some timer involved in this logic.

I have one SDS-100 which is on 24/7 and powered externally. You'd think once the battery is fully charged it would disable charging, but over time batteries drain on their own, and therefore charging cycles. I've removed the battery from this unit to avoid major issues. I have another SDS-100 which goes with me everywhere. It might be running on battery for a few minutes but then is plugged in somewhere. I've definitely witnessed it self disabling charging even though the battery voltage is low and the input voltage is great. But it was when the unit was warm to the touch.

Also, I am NOT powering these radios from a PC USB port. I use a 5amp adapter in each my vehicle and at home. I also use a heavy duty short USB cable. The unit is very sensitive to "voltage drop". There are some other threads here on RR regarding this.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
It is somewhat common to have a broken (or intermittent) USB port on these radios. Carefully inspect the port (magnifying glass) to see if all pins are where they are supposed to be. A bad ground and/or power connection will do what you are describing.

Oh.... when you try different cables, remember you need a cable with AWG24 power/ground wires. Smaller wires will cause a voltage drop, triggering the error.

The first thing I did was add the voltage measurements for each the battery and the USB inputs to the display.

Thanks for that very informative response, especially the tip about the USB voltage on the display.

The adapter was, I think, supplied in the box with the SDS-100 and it says output is 5 volts and 2000 ma on the side with the Uniden logo.

When plugged in currently (pun intended), the USB2 voltage reads 4.70 to 4.71, red light is on and batt is 4.17 V .

I'll continue to experiment. Thanks again.

Using this replacement cable, it seems the USB2 voltage is slightly closer to the 5V the (original) charger is rated.

Yesterday, I was beginnning to believe the battery had been impaired as the LED signaled green with the battery at 4.04V compared to the 4.22V it normally does.

Then I unplugged the cable from the radio, it immediately went red, then re-plugged it and and it stayed red, for over an hour, not budging above 4.04V .

At that point, being utterly confused, I powered it down and let it charge overnight.

It was back to 4.22V and green this morning.

I also picked up a replacement charger supplying 5Vx1A = 5W from one port and 5Vx2.4A = 12W from the other

The original charger says 5Vx2A =10W .

Correct me if I'm wrong, the 12W port should be good as a replacement for the original and should do no harm.

Still seems like something wrong inside the radio.

I'm watching gradually gradually creeping up to the peak battery I never see and it's flickering 4.23 which I'd never seen that high before today.

This is still original charger, new cable.

The USB2 voltage is bouncing around 4.9 which I've also never seen before today.

The LED is is red, so it thinks it's not done.

Then, because I'm half-blind, I pick the radio up with my hand to look cmore closely and the LED turned green, the instance I picked it up.y

I've noticed that jostling it has caused it to go green previously.

And yanking the USB then plugging it back in changes it to red for a whilIf it's green and I take it out then put it right back in, it shouldn't take an hour to go green again.

Status
Not open for further replies.