SDS100/SDS200: Battery Life SDS 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

It just takes a defective battery. If the charger is defective then it is a high probablility that the battery will soner or later also be defective. It is a special protection circuit inside the battery to protect it from overcharge and high temperatures but who knows how reliable those chinese components are.

Airline companies have forbidden certain types of Lithium batteries to be transported in airplanes as it at least one time have made the plane crash due to self exploding batteries that set the plane on fire.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So a defective battery and a defective charger working simultaneously?

To get a fire or explosion, generally yes. The energy released in a battery failure is directly proportional to the charge level. A dead (or mostly dead) battery failing is not very exciting. But if the battery is charged over capacity, failure can be pretty spectacular.

I haven't seen the battery since I popped it into the unit whenever I bought it (last year sometime).
It's not a bad idea to have a spare, and rotate them periodically.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Airline companies have forbidden certain types of Lithium batteries to be transported in airplanes as it at least one time have made the plane crash due to self exploding batteries that set the plane on fire.
The key phrase being "certain types". Battery design has progressed to make catastrophic failure less likely. The most pertinent limitation is the charge level of larger batteries, for the reason I mentioned in my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.