Battery life with WS-1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

There have been a couple of questions about battery life with the 1080 so I ran a highly un-scientific test today. I picked a few depts. on the local RCS system for scanning, both analog and digital. I put in a set of 2500maH NiMh fresh off the charger and started scanning at 0826. I heard the first alarm at 1946. A little over 11 hrs. on one set of batts. That will work fine for me. I don't even need an extra set of batts. when going out for the day.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Battery Life with WS-1080

That's great. I haven't been getting that much, maybe 8 especially by going into menu/settings and turning the lights OFF for the bottom part of the Scanner background lights & using the LCD screen ONLY at night. There's only a few buttons to feel in the dark and it's no problem. *What brand of batteries have that high a rating? "2500maH" the one's I have are 2300 and 2400 Ever-Ready Energizers and Sanyos. I also have a great battery charger "MAHA MH-C801D" from Ham Radio on-line that conditions and charges 8 at a time, was $50.00 and worth it, I notice the difference in battery life with conditioning vs blasting them fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

W6KRU

That's great. I have been getting close to that, especially by going into menu/settings and turning the lights OFF for the bottom part of the Scanner background lights & using the LCD screen ONLY at night. There's only a few buttons to feel in the dark and it's no problem. *What brand of batteries have that high a rating? "2500maH" the one's I have are 2300 and 2450 Ever-Ready Energizers and Sanyos. I also have a great battery charger "MAHA MH-C801D" from Ham Radio on-line that conditions and charges 8 at a time, was $50.00 and worth it, I notice the difference in battery life with conditioning vs blasting them fast.

I have the MH-C9000 charger. These batteries are are identical to the ones I mentioned but newer and 200mAH bigger: Maha Powerex 2700mAh AA NIMH Rechargeable Batteries

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Ha, thanks. All I had to do was look at the page I ordered the battery charger from, right under my nose. I'll have to get those too

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
With PSR-800, firmware 1.5, our battery life nose dived. Many were talking about which batteries and chargers to run out and buy when there was no issue before the firmware upgrade.. When firmware 1.6 came out, most battery life issues disappeared.

Tac-1

guess my Acuvar 3100mAh NiMHs should do ok even thoug the batt meter goes down to 1/4 real quick but its been on for 3 hours now at 1/4

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
guess my Acuvar 3100mAh NiMHs should do ok even thoug the batt meter goes down to 1/4 real quick but its been on for 3 hours now at 1/4

Those are fake ratings. No AA that can do 3100 mAh especially a pre-charge one currently and those are not "Precharged", "Low self Discharge type". eBay flooded with fake rated batteries and sell them at high rating cheap. They are not 3100 mAh, more likely can't do 500 mAh on a good day, I tested them on a analyzer. Best batteries to buy are Eneloops, the pro's are better and do up to 2550 mAh, or Energizer recharge 2300. They do above their rating and last over 1000 cycles. Also invest in a good charger with independent channels, like a lacrosse charger bc1000. Or you can get the Eneloop pro pack, come with everything you need for cheaper price.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-KJ17KHC82A-Capacity-Advanced-Individual/dp/B00MIJU7AE

nyscan

Anyone use the Energizer Recharge Power Plus? I have good results with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.