Battery Problems Bc296d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakemcgraw

lugoffman said:
Hey got a question I bought this battery that is posted on the link from ebay and I got it in the mail today , but the battery I got is green, and says smartbatts, its the same size 4.8v 2600mah NIMH but it does not look like a interstate battery. Now did I get the right battery or do you think the seller sent the wrong battery. Now looks does not matter to me but the warranty does if he sent me the wrong battery and somthing happenes to it I wont get my warranty. So what should I do I never bought any thing off ebay this is my first time ??
Hi, Jason...As long as its the same Matching type as you ordered, and connector fits properly, everything is OK...I have ordered things such as battery packs and so forth, That are different at times than the pictured ones....specs are usually always the same, just a different name and packaging look sometimes....You should be good to go........Let us know how it works for you.............................Les.

Last edited:

lugoffman

Jakemcgraw said:
Hi, Jason...As long as its the same Matching type as you ordered, and connector fits properly, everything is OK...I have ordered things such as battery packs and so forth, That are different at times than the pictured ones....specs are usually always the same, just a different name and packaging look sometimes....You should be good to go........Let us know how it works for you.............................Les.
OK just wanted to make sure it didnt hurt nothing pluss i wanted to make sure I still got the warranty But if it will work then I'm happy !!

lugoffman

Could there be somthing wrong with my radio ?? I got the battery I bought from ebay and I charged it all night and I only got about a half of day use out of it my other scanner pro164 will go all day with a full charge could there be somthing pulling down the battery. I got it on battery saver and I dont use the light at all on it but it still does not work like it should what else could be the problem I even changed chargers and tried that still the same. Any Ideas ??????????

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
So your pro-164 works all day on the same battery pack
that only lasts a short time on the 296? is that what your saying?

Im not even sure do they use the same battery pack but..
If thats true and its the same battery pack then its not the battery... something is causing the radio to drain fast... (light on - but u said its off).. digital may take up more battery life.
or a problem with the radio or contact point/connector being loose.

lugoffman

torontokris said:
So your pro-164 works all day on the same battery pack
that only lasts a short time on the 296? is that what your saying?

Im not even sure do they use the same battery pack but..
If thats true and its the same battery pack then its not the battery... something is causing the radio to drain fast... (light on - but u said its off).. digital may take up more battery life.
or a problem with the radio or contact point/connector being loose.

No I'm sorry I was just saying that my pro 164 will last longer than the bc296d two different batterys Lol !!! But I do got one digital TGID programed in to it but I got that bank turned off I only monitor just my conv. channels untill I figure out the whole digital concept I'M still learning but when I take it off charge this morning at 10 and it started blinking at 5 pm I was like ,man somthing is wrong or I didn't let it charge long enough but when I put it on charge yesterday it was at 3pm and I let it charge all night untill 10 am eastern time that should of been more than enough time to charge I just dont know what else could be the problem .

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
I own a 296 myself. Something to consider in all of this. The 296 with digital card turned on draws an average of 240 mah (based on personal experience). The battery pack capacity will determine how fast the battery will discharge.

The Uniden BP250 that shipped with the radio and is sold on uniden direct is rated at 1500 mah so at full charge with the digital card turned ON the radio will discharge the pack in roughly 6.25 hours.

Getting a higher capacity battery is recommended if you use digital exclusively. If you are only using it for analog turning off the digital card cuts the discharge rate almost in half.

Your AC adapter needs a minimum of 12 volts at 500 ma to properly power the radio and charge the battery. The radio itself average's around 100 mah charge by charging the battery in the radio. Not very efficient by any means.

Phil.

lugoffman

scanlist said:
I own a 296 myself. Something to consider in all of this. The 296 with digital card turned on draws an average of 240 mah (based on personal experience). The battery pack capacity will determine how fast the battery will discharge.

The Uniden BP250 that shipped with the radio and is sold on uniden direct is rated at 1500 mah so at full charge with the digital card turned ON the radio will discharge the pack in roughly 6.25 hours.

Getting a higher capacity battery is recommended if you use digital exclusively. If you are only using it for analog turning off the digital card cuts the discharge rate almost in half.

Your AC adapter needs a minimum of 12 volts at 500 ma to properly power the radio and charge the battery. The radio itself average's around 100 mah charge by charging the battery in the radio. Not very efficient by any means.

Phil.

cool I will try that !!! Now how do I turn it on and off I cant find my book on it

Jakemcgraw

lugoffman said:
cool I will try that !!! Now how do I turn it on and off I cant find my book on it
You, can access it through the menu button , to turn it on or off.. I used to have the 250 model,,wish i kept it.

lugoffman

Jakemcgraw said:
You, can access it through the menu button , to turn it on or off.. I used to have the 250 model,,wish i kept it.
YEA I got it I hit disabled and then it took me to the power saver mode and I hit on for power saver also do they got a upgraded digital card for this model ??

Jakemcgraw

lugoffman said:
Well I turned the digital card off and sure enough it lasted all day and is still off charge so I think the was the problem Thanks all for your help
Scanlist made an excellent suggestion,,glad that worked out for you, Also the higher capacity battery should help run time too.

lugoffman

Jakemcgraw said:
Scanlist made an excellent suggestion,,glad that worked out for you, Also the higher capacity battery should help run time too.

Well it works fine now but when I turn the card on it does use the battery just like he said so when I start hearing alot of diesal noise on my pro164 I'll then turn the digital card on my 296d and start monitoring Lol !!! BUT THAT DID TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM THANKS GUYS !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.