Battery Problems Bc296d

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

Has any one had problems with there battery not staying charged after a all nights worth of charging it ? I am having a little problem with this and I went over to radio shack and bought me another battery and put it in, charged it all night and took it off charge, two to three hours later the battery indicator beeps letting me know that it is low. I took the batery back and they gave me another one and I got it on charge as I speak. Now if this happens again what else could be the problem ? I dont hardly ever use the back light ,and I put it on battery saver on the radio, I just dont know what else to do. Any ideas ?????

Jakemcgraw

Is it a Ni-Cad Battery pack or Ni-Mh batterys ?....Radio Shacks Ni-Cad and some other makes Don't have a very high "mah" rating and don't last too long on a charge.....there are other makes out there such as on e-bay and other places, That sell these Battery Packs, that are now the Ni-Mh Type Battery..Much higher mah rating than the original Ni-Cad type....hope this helps you some....................Les.

lugoffman

Jakemcgraw said:
Is it a Ni-Cad Battery pack or Ni-Mh batterys ?....Radio Shacks Ni-Cad and some other makes Don't have a very high "mah" rating and don't last too long on a charge.....there are other makes out there such as on e-bay and other places, That sell these Battery Packs, that are now the Ni-Mh Type Battery..Much higher mah rating than the original Ni-Cad type....hope this helps you some....................Les.

Well it says ni-cid 4.8v mAh is that good or bad should i take it back and get my money back and buy a better type ?

Jakemcgraw

Hi,, Yes that is a might low...Id recommend taking it back. Look for a Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) battery pack, youll most definately get much longer running time, even if the backlight is on alot..................Check this out on e-bay..item# 320 251 683 859......$17.95 + $4.00 ship.......2600 mah Ni-MH battery pack,,it lists your model also.

Last edited:

lugoffman

Jakemcgraw said:
Hi,, Yes that is a might low...Id recommend taking it back. Look for a Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) battery pack, youll most definately get much longer running time, even if the backlight is on alot..................Check this out on e-bay..item# 320 251 683 859......$17.95 + $4.00 ship.......2600 mah Ni-MH battery pack,,it lists your model also.
Cool can you post me a link ? thats cheaper than i paid for this one. Thanks --- Jason

Last edited:

Jakemcgraw

Jason...Jerri posted a link from the same seller..same price and battery...Just wanted to mention also, with the item # i posted, you can always enter that directly in the e-bay search box and it takes you right to the item.

Last edited:

lugoffman

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Could be the internal charging circuit also. My BC250D has this problem. I retrofitted it with an external case that holds 4 standard AA's and I use an external charger. Now I get all the run time I need out of it, plus in a pinch I can install standard alkalines. Looks kinda hamsexy-ish but what the hell, it works. I'll post a pic if anyone wants to see my fugly scanner. :D

-AZ

lugoffman

AZScanner said:
Could be the internal charging circuit also. My BC250D has this problem. I retrofitted it with an external case that holds 4 standard AA's and I use an external charger. Now I get all the run time I need out of it, plus in a pinch I can install standard alkalines. Looks kinda hamsexy-ish but what the hell, it works. I'll post a pic if anyone wants to see my fugly scanner. :D

-AZ
lol !!! Yea lets see I'm curious

lugoffman

Hey everyone I ordered me a new battery off ebay well the link that some one here gave me and it has not came yet. But before it does can some one tell me what could be the problem of this. Now the battery , after a few hours of charge is getting hot very hot so hot that when I grab the radio it is worm and then I take the battery cover off the battery pack is almost hot enough to burn you could this be my charger or just the battery is junk or what ??? The battery is a radio shack battery Thanks ---- Jason

Jakemcgraw

lugoffman said:
Hey everyone I ordered me a new battery off ebay well the link that some one here gave me and it has not came yet. But before it does can some one tell me what could be the problem of this. Now the battery , after a few hours of charge is getting hot very hot so hot that when I grab the radio it is worm and then I take the battery cover off the battery pack is almost hot enough to burn you could this be my charger or just the battery is junk or what ??? The battery is a radio shack battery Thanks ---- Jason
Sounds like your Uniden AC adapter charger may have a short, or the like,,Possibly match up a charger at radio shack, and try that , unless you have one of the same type,,i'd be careful..cheaper for a new charger than to mess up your radio. Another thing if thats the battery you bought before ordering the ebay one,,try your old battery for a short while, but monitor the temp. ................Les

Last edited:

lugoffman

Jakemcgraw said:
Sounds like your Uniden AC adapter charger may have a short, or the like,,Possibly match up a charger at radio shack, and try that , unless you have one of the same type,,i'd be careful..cheaper for a new charger than to mess up your radio. Another thing if thats the battery you bought before ordering the ebay one,,try your old battery for a short while, but monitor the temp. ................Les
Well the charger I got is the one that came with the radio , but I do got another charger I bought from walley world. Its a universal adapter with all types of ends that fits different types of stuff and gots a setting on it were you can set the volts would that be ok to use ??

Jakemcgraw

lugoffman said:
Well the charger I got is the one that came with the radio , but I do got another charger I bought from walley world. Its a universal adapter with all types of ends that fits different types of stuff and gots a setting on it were you can set the volts would that be ok to use ??
Just make certain, on the Adapter the Volt is the same such as 9vdc..and the MAH of the charger Must be equal to or greater,, such as if your scanner calls for 300mah....you could use say: 600 mah, but never lower should it be....And last the Tip must be set to neg or pos and fit the scanners jack.....hope that helps.......................Les

AZScanner

AZScanner said:
OK, I'll take a pic of my ugly hamsexy scanner tonight and post. :D The 250D was funky looking enough to begin with but mine is even uglier.

-AZ

Here we go, by popular demand. I think I spent maybe $6 at RatShack for the case and the batteries and charger were $15 or so at Wallyworld. As you can see, it's quite hamsexy. :D

-AZ

Attachments

• bc250_main.jpg
    bc250_main.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 283
  • bc250_batteries.jpg
    bc250_batteries.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 296
  • bc250_back.jpg
    bc250_back.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 265

lugoffman

AZScanner said:
Here we go, by popular demand. I think I spent maybe $6 at RatShack for the case and the batteries and charger were $15 or so at Wallyworld. As you can see, it's quite hamsexy. :D

-AZ

LOL!!!!! Thats not bad at all I bet it is less expensive doing it that way than to take it into the shop. I still haven't gotten my new battery yet but I found a old battery that will work and I'm going to try the walley world charger and see if that will do the trick heck it might just be the dag on battery after all I hope. Like the set up though !!!

freqhopping

My BC250D won't run on batteries anymore at least not with at least 12V (ie old motorcycle battery :) ). So I've hardwired it to an AC/DC converter and it's relegated to 'base' duty. :( The standard AC adapter plug is broken too.

At first a fully charged pack would only run it a short time before getting the battery indicator warning. Eventually it required more and more voltage to keep operating.

Last edited:

AZScanner

lugoffman said:
LOL!!!!! Thats not bad at all I bet it is less expensive doing it that way than to take it into the shop. I still haven't gotten my new battery yet but I found a old battery that will work and I'm going to try the walley world charger and see if that will do the trick heck it might just be the dag on battery after all I hope. Like the set up though !!!

Thanks. The best thing about it is, in a pinch, I can just grab a 4 pack of el-cheapo alkalines and run the scanner for several more hours if needed while the rechargeables are recharged.

Think I'll grab another 8 pack of rechargeables on this weekend's inevitable trip to WalWart. With the 30 minute charger I've got, I can keep that scanner running for days at a time. :D I wish the 250D had close call, it'd be damn near perfect if it did.

-AZ

lugoffman

n2mdk said:
Check this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1&fvi=1
Another thing I can think of is the AC adapter the original one that came with the radio if it's not it might not be supplying enough ma's

Hey got a question I bought this battery that is posted on the link from ebay and I got it in the mail today , but the battery I got is green, and says smartbatts, its the same size 4.8v 2600mah NIMH but it does not look like a interstate battery. Now did I get the right battery or do you think the seller sent the wrong battery. Now looks does not matter to me but the warranty does if he sent me the wrong battery and somthing happenes to it I wont get my warranty. So what should I do I never bought any thing off ebay this is my first time ??

Status
Not open for further replies.