Battery Revert

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOGUY2002

With the times and storm issues latily going on, what is the best way to revert for power backup for a repeater. The terminals are already their for dc support, but what steps do I need to take and/ or what battery should I use. I have my mere supicion and best guess is the marine deep cycle, however what steps do i need to take to prevent or to protect it safily.

The repeater is an icom fr3000

KC0QNB

With the times and storm issues latily going on, what is the best way to revert for power backup for a repeater. The terminals are already their for dc support, but what steps do I need to take and/ or what battery should I use. I have my mere supicion and best guess is the marine deep cycle, however what steps do i need to take to prevent or to protect it safily.

The repeater is an icom fr3000

One thing to consider about the marine battery, may be a marine starting battery, if the battery says anything about CCA, MCA, avoid it. Get a real deep cycle battery perhaps one designed for telecommunications.
Some thing like this, I have not researched this link or the company behind the website.
I do not work for this company, I just found them on the web.

RADIOGUY2002

"I look into it"

looks like it might be promising, I more of a hands on do it myself or work with a few other people person. So, if their is way to do it for a reasonable price thats the way I go.

KC0QNB

The reason for the true deep cycle battery is this, starting batteries of any kind are designed to deliver a short burst of power to start the whatever and won't last long with a continuous drain type of load, like a repeater. Check it out on the battery manufacturers sites on the you may be glad you did.

RADIOGUY2002

Their is no doubt in mind

Their is no doubt in my mind that I would go with deep cycle battery do to that burts of energy and battery cycle. I was just wondering about the environment the battery need to be keep in. Does it need to be outside in a rubber storagement container type deal along that line. Is what I was getting at.

Sorry if their was any confusionn their.

KC0QNB

If you use a AGM or VRLA I don't think they need special outside containment, but their environment should be controlled so they don't get too cold/hot. is the repeater is a temperature controlled environment?

RADIOGUY2002

i WAS

I was going to build it out with quick release if at all possible to have it charged when need be. Realisticaly it should be used once in a great while, but that all depends on ConEd's realibility.

KC0QNB

Make sure it is well ventilated when it is being charged---you don't want hydrogen gas to build up.
Not sure if that would be an issue with AGM or VRLA battery, the battery specs would tell you that kind of info
here is a link to Panasonic batteries
you can download pdf files from here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.