• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

batterys

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

hello everyone
i was wondering
how does a fire trucks battery last so long since they have many lights, sirens, and other accesories?
thank you

z96cobra

Whenever a truck is running lights/sirens/whatever, the engine is still running. When parked on scene with the overheads running, the engine is always running. For the most part, whenever a "firetruck" is not sitting in its bay at the station the engine is running, keeping the batteries charged (we rarely shut the truck down while its out of the station). When parked in the station the batteries are "plugged in" with a shore line, keeping them fully charged for the next run. Most of the newer trucks have auto-ejects for the shore line so you don't drive out the door with the truck still plugged in... happens more times than anyone will ever admit ;o) Also, for some reason the manufacturers like to put the auto-ejects at about crotch/groin level, and when the truck goes into drive, you better protect the jewels, cause some shoot out pretty far and quick.

Roger

landonjensen

"we rarely shut the truck down while its out of the station"

why is that, yeah when ever i see them at the grocery store etc, they still always have the enigine going

N

N_Jay

z96cobra said:
. . . . so you don't drive out the door with the truck still plugged in... happens more times than anyone will ever admit ;o) . . .
That never happens,:cool:
I mean That never happened to me,;)
I mean that photograph of the ambulance driving down the road with 25 feet of cord hanging off the end was not me, :roll:
I mean that photo never really existed! :twisted:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!;) ;) ;)

cschmit

N_Jay said:
That never happens,:cool:
I mean That never happened to me,;)
I mean that photograph of the ambulance driving down the road with 25 feet of cord hanging off the end was not me, :roll:
I mean that photo never really existed! :twisted:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!;) ;) ;)
LMAO :lol: Oh thanks for making me laugh today, I needed it :D <tears> Someone get me a tissue.. LMAO

wyldman

Most emergency vehicles use several big batteries,and very high output alternator(s).

These large alternators will put out some serious juice,even at idle.Most are rated at 2-300 amps,with over 100 amps at idle.

Don't forget too,newer lights such as strobes and LED's,draw very little power,unlike the old halogen and incandescent bulbs.

dangitdoug

z96cobra said:
Whenever a truck is running lights/sirens/whatever, the engine is still running. When parked on scene with the overheads running, the engine is always running. For the most part, whenever a "firetruck" is not sitting in its bay at the station the engine is running, keeping the batteries charged (we rarely shut the truck down while its out of the station). When parked in the station the batteries are "plugged in" with a shore line, keeping them fully charged for the next run. Most of the newer trucks have auto-ejects for the shore line so you don't drive out the door with the truck still plugged in... happens more times than anyone will ever admit ;o) Also, for some reason the manufacturers like to put the auto-ejects at about crotch/groin level, and when the truck goes into drive, you better protect the jewels, cause some shoot out pretty far and quick.

Roger

I don't believe a word of it. I remember when I was in school (Yes we had school back then, now shaddup and let me finish) the fire captain told us they had a real long extension cord. When that ran out they switched over to the hampster running on wheels hooked up to the motor.

Now if you will excuse me, I've got to go wait for the stagecoach to arrive so I can get this month's mail.

Doug K

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
landonjensen said:
"we rarely shut the truck down while its out of the station"

why is that, yeah when ever i see them at the grocery store etc, they still always have the enigine going
All motor vehicles have an alternator, which recharges the battery when the engine is running. They are left running when out of station because all the radios need to be on, and all the lights if neccesary. If the engine is off, with all the lights and radios on, it will depleat the battery, and they are screwed for going to the next run.

landonjensen

and just confiming the headsets that they wear while riding in the truck are radio headsets correct?

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
landonjensen said:
and just confiming the headsets that they wear while riding in the truck are radio headsets correct?
They are intercoms so they can hear and talk to each other over the loud engine, and the siren. If you have ever been on a small private airplane, they use the same headsets that pilots use to talk to each other clearly.

joetnymedic

any rig i ever used always had at least 2 batteries. and yes very high output alternators-two rigs that i know that had 100amp alternators were always and i mean always in the shop getting new ones. what a design flaw. as for the auto ejects-lets just say the extension cord issues were seen on several incidents. funny thing was when someone came up with an idea to keep our med bags warm by putting portable heaters in the rigs and flycars. was a great idea, but now you have 2 problems with the broken cord problems- the idea was great and eventually worked itself out. thank god i wasn't one of the guys who took off still hooked up. but i gotta tell ya, when they would, it would sound like a fishing pole spool at least till the snap-lol!

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Also, when you shut the truck down, you can loose some of your air brake pressure and if you get a call and your truck is shut down, you have to wait for the air pressure to build up so you can release the brakes. An engine I used to drive ('78 Grumman) was like this. We'd get a call at the station and it would take almost 3 minutes to build up enough pressure for the brakes to release. So once we got it rolling, the truck didn't shut down until we were dang well done with it.

Yeah, they are made to idle. I've been on scenes with my engine running 12 hours working and at idle. It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.