Baxter & Boone County, Arkansas Sheriff's Departments

Status
Not open for further replies.

txzeke

Premium Subscriber
Heard today that Baxter and Boone County Sheriff Departments are going to switch over to MotoTURBO very soon. Anybody with better info on this ? GRE, any word on getting a scanner to us with MotoTURBO .....SOON !! ?

Last edited:

safetyobc

I would highly doubt a scanner from either GRE or Uniden that has the ability to decode MOTRBO anytime soon. Typically when they are announced, it takes 6 months or so before they hit the market. They just showed 2 new models at CES. Well they have 1 on display, and just a spec sheet on the other. 1 is the PSR-900 (which is the mobile version of the 800) and the other was the PSR-120. The 120 looks to be analog only scanner. Sucks I know! I want a MTRBO scanner myself!

txzeke

Premium Subscriber
Baxter County, AR TURBO

I can confirm that Gassville, Cotter, and Lakeview PD's in Baxter County, AR are now on 155.5725 in MotoTRBO mode and no longer use the counties AWIN channel.

At least one Gassville Officer thinks the system sucks though. LOL

Have heard County will be switching to TRBO mode also. At this writing they are still analog.

blackmonte

Anyone have any new info on Boone County? I recently purchased the BCD536 and was told by the guy at Radio Shack it didn't matter what scanner you had that it wouldn't pick up Boone County Sheriff, Harrison Fire or PD because they are fully encrypted. I asked a deputy I know and he said they had went digital over a year ago but he hadn't heard if it was encrypted or not.
What is a MotoTurbo system?
Why would a 38,000 population County go to this type of system? It had to be an expensive upgrade I would think.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The DMR format is a cheap way to go narrowband, and TDMA digital compared to P25 formats. MotoTRBO is the DMR offering from Motorola. There are several other vendors for DMR radio systems, but because Motorola is the biggest name in the game, they do get the majority of contracts. They are also the only vendor that has an DMR TRS currently.

The reasons so many agencies are going conventional DMR (TRBO or otherwise) are: Cost - DMR is a lot cheaper to implement than APCO P25. TDMA Digital - Currently there is no APCO P25 Phase II standard for conventional, so to get the advantages of 2 Slot TDMA digital, your only choice is DMR currently. So by going with DMR, you now have narrowband, digital, and TDMA which allows far more efficient usage of the bandwidth for an reasonable price range.

Boone SO is indeed DMR, not sure if they run Encryption on it or not, so can't advise if you can hear em using DSD Plus and get info using DMR Decode or not.

Abandoning AWIN is not smart in my opinion though. Not using it full time I can understand, but to completely fly off it and lose the Statewide interop is just not smart. I have posted multiple rants on the whole issue of cry about no interop, then abandon the interop solutions you cried for in other locations, and won't get that started in this thread so we can keep on topic.

chudson584

Most people at radioshack dont know what they are talking about. He assumes because he hears a data transmission that its encrypted. Boone co is not encrypted. I have yet to hear anyone use encryptiong on DMR(trbo). Its kinda pointless given that on the market, you can't listen to trbo. Logically anyways. Harrison Fire still uses analog as primary. Newton county SO is DMR. Just the SO freq. I don't have any issue listening to DMR with my RS Pro-197 and disc tap. DSD+ is working wonderfully for trbo.

blackmonte

Baxter & Boone County, Arkansas Sheriff's Departments

Well that's good to know DMR can be monitored. I just wish Uniden or other manufacturers would implement it into their scanners or for that matter do it in a firmware update if possible. If it is a cheaper alternative to phase I systems them I could see more agencies with smaller counties going to this.
I guess I'm a little to far from Boone county to pick up the local PD and FD.
Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chudson584

i've been told that there is a receiver of some sorts that will decode dmr but its 7000 greenbacks. Not sure on the validity. It only cost me $10 and 30 minutes of my time to make a tap(it took 30 because I made it look factory with a jack plug on the back) and bam. Ive also seen these really small computers that you can load linux onto a micro sd car, and you can also get a small touchscreen for them, and I could see the possible use of putting on in a scanner(inside the housing) and running DSD while mobile with an external speaker. back to the discussion at hand...I think the audio quality on trbo his horrible. I dispatch for newton county SO and theres a fine line to making out words. you can be to loud or to soft. no AGC like some P25 has(that I know of) the cheaper alternative isn't always the best given the trbo is mainly marketed towards commercial use rather than public safety like P25 is. trbo throws interop completely out the window,

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Its all in the system design. Some DMR systems work like magic and sound amazing (Putnam County, TN for one), and some that are so poorly designed/configured that they are actually dangerous because of the lousy audio etc...

radiotec46

Baxter co, ar. moto turbo freq's

Can any one please help me look up or find baxter co. sherff moto turbo freq's programing so our naborhood watch can stay informed? Or even tell me where I can get the proper programing freq's. Thanks

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Can any one please help me look up or find baxter co. sherff moto turbo freq's programing so our naborhood watch can stay informed? Or even tell me where I can get the proper programing freq's. Thanks

Unless you're saying the listed info is wrong, they're in the database.

txzeke

Premium Subscriber
First off, do you even have a scanner that can get MotoTURBO ?

These are scanners that can get Baxter & Boone systems:

Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP Police Scanner | ScannerMaster.com

Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP Police Scanner | ScannerMaster.com

Whistler TRX-1 Digital Handheld Police Scanner | Scanner Master

Whistler TRX-2 Digital Base/Mobile Police Scanner | Scanner Master

Any scanner prior to these will not pick their systems up even with the correct freqs entered. All you will hear is a horrible, irritating, buzz-like sound.

The freqs are listed here:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=110

The "Description" showing "Digital" and the "Mode" listed as "DMR" are the freqs needed in the above scanners to listen in on Baxter & Boone.

As far as I know at this time, this is the only scanner available to pick up Mountain Home, Arkansas PD with their new NXDN radio system. But I just read that the Whistler TRX-1 & TRX-2 scanners listed above will soon be capable of getting MHPD also:

AR-DV1 | RECEIVERS | AOR U.S.A., INC. Authority On Radio Communications

Last edited:

wbswetnam

As far as I know at this time, this is the only scanner available to pick up Mountain Home, Arkansas PD with their new NXDN radio system. But I just read that the Whistler TRX-1 & TRX-2 scanners listed above will soon be capable of getting MHPD

As long as MHPD isn't encrypted, that is. Paragould PD is also NXDN but it is 100% enc and cannot be monitored.

Status
Not open for further replies.