Bay Area planing a new Communication Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

qc

Premium Subscriber
Just found this story on CBS 5

http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_254172510.html

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums and other local officials came together at Treasure Island Tuesday to unveil an initiative aimed at making it easier for public safety agencies in the region to communicate with one another during emergencies.

Newsom said, "Today, as we mark the sixth anniversary of 9/11, the best way we can pay tribute to the fallen is by giving our local first responders the tools to handle a major disaster."

Newsom said, "By making our emergency communications interoperable among all disciplines and jurisdictions, we are ensuring that we are prepared for any future disasters, either natural or man-made."

Newsom said the so-called Bay Area Public Safety Interoperable Communications Initiative is the largest urban area interoperable communications collaboration in the nation.

Laura Phillips, the executive director of San Francisco's Department of Emergency Management, said the idea is to make it easier for cities and counties throughout the Bay Area to address and develop strategies to communicate, respond and recover in the event of human-generated and natural disasters.

Dellums said, "This initiative provides our first responders with the ability to communicate with other cities and counties across the Bay Area, further improving upon the way our emergency officials can respond."

Phillips said the problem known as "interoperability" developed over the past several decades and involves a scarcity of radio frequencies or spectrum that hinders the ability of public safety agencies throughout the nation to communicate with one another.

Newsom said the Bay Area initiative will cost about $200 million, of which San Francisco will contribute more than $72 million.

Phillips said the project will be funded by federal grants, including the Public Safety Interoperable Communications Grant, known as PSIC, and the Community Oriented Policing Services, known as COPS.

Newsom said parts of the project will be brought in gradually over the next year, additional parts will be in service by 2009 and it will be fully integrated by early 2010.

Phillips said the project currently includes the cities of San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose and the core counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, Marin and Santa Clara.

She said other cities and counties also have expressed interest.

trooperdude

Database Admin
RolnCode3 said:
Hmm. Any website dedicated to this?

There were a few PDF's on an FBI site about a year ago, but those
have since disappeared.

It's not a statewide or regionwide master system like back east.

Agencies or regions (like the new ALCO/COCO system) will keep their current communication systems, but be linked by a RoIp microwave backbone with several transmitter interlinked
locations to each other, and to the Feds.

The goal is say for CHP on low band standing next to ALCO on 700/800 Mhz trunked at the same incident scene, being able to talk to
each other on their own dis-similar radio equipment using a transparent backbone.

www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp/docs/info248_PSIC_FAQ.pdf

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Thunderbolt said:
Sounds like we might be looking at a very large Project 25, regional Omni-Link TRS that may cover many counties?
No, not exactly. Just a lot of patching between systems, like trooperdude mentions. Marin and San Mateo Counties aren't changing over to P25 trunking any time soon, and BART certainly isn't leaving their system. I don't believe San Jose has any interest in dumping what they have now either.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
wayne_h said:
No, not exactly. Just a lot of patching between systems, like trooperdude mentions. Marin and San Mateo Counties aren't changing over to P25 trunking any time soon, and BART certainly isn't leaving their system. I don't believe San Jose has any interest in dumping what they have now either.

Wow 200 million dollars to basically do the same thing they can already do now by tuning their radios to USA-1! Brilliant! :roll:

I swear... I'm gonna find the radio consultant that first uttered the term "interoperability" and beat him to death with a trout.

-AZ

trooperdude

Database Admin
wayne_h said:
I don't believe San Jose has any interest in dumping what they have now either.

San Jose has an interest in 700Mhz P25 citywide trunking when it becomes available after

Just an FYI.

What is USA-1 ?

Nobody here can talk to each other, even if they are standing across the same parking lot.
CHP= Low Band + VHF extenders
PD= could be VHF P25, VHF simplex, UHF P25 trunked, UHF conventional, 800 trunked 2-3 different
flavors, etc. etc.

Last edited:
AZScanner said:
Ah yes, I forgot - this is Cali we're talking about. In that case, instead of USA-1 try CLEMARS.

California Law Enforcement Mutual Aid Radio System

You telling me the chippies can't get in touch with San Jose PD on a CLEMARS channel?

I don't know about chp in San Jose have if they have UHF mobile's in their cars. I think their HT1000's have CLEMARS program in them.

Doesn't the south bay use bay macs? I always here them on VHF side. Monterey county is getting ready for patch with CHP.

Last edited:

RolnCode3

CLEMARS is VHF, right?

San Francisco is 800 trunked.
Marin is UHF trunked.
CHP is lowband.

Right there you've got all 4 major bands covered.

You're still not even in the right band without some type of equipment on the other end of the radio. The people in the field can't talk to each other without backbone/network equipment to do that for them. It's not as simple as selecting a different channel.

No expert, but I understand the basics.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
RolnCode3 said:
San Francisco is 800 trunked.
Marin is UHF trunked.
These two plus any other PS Moto system wouldn't be that difficult to link together. All you need is a path (M/W or telco) to route the audio and you are good to go. Linking to a conventional channel, especially to low-band, when the link radio is old stuff takes a seasoned tech. It's not rocket science to setup a link but some local gov techs aren't exactly the brightest apples. I still wonder how some of the ALCO techs got their jobs.

Linking is more a political issue. Who maintains it, who funds it, who controls it, etc.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
AZScanner said:
I swear... I'm gonna find the radio consultant that first uttered the term "interoperability" and beat him to death with a trout.

Can I get in line behind you?

We can get all the fancy equipment we want but we still need the training to teach the radio operators how to use it.

trooperdude

Database Admin
wayne_h said:
Linking is more a political issue. Who maintains it, who funds it, who controls it, etc.

Linking is definitely not a technical hurdle.

We were doing it back in the late 70's and early 80's both out in the field on
searches, and on the consoles in the comm center for major events.

CLEMARS has multiple frequencies covering everything from 39mhz to 800 mhz

rooivalk

SFPD's radio system is horrible, so I don't know how the powers-that-be can make this work correctly when the City can't get its own radio system working correctly.

One of the big selling points when SF went to the trunked system was "interoperability" yet that never transpired.

qc

Premium Subscriber
I have not found any website for it yet. but the name of the system mite be. the Bay Area Tactical Emergency Communications System (BARTECS)? or Bay Area Public Safety Interoperable Communications Initiative

Thanks

Last edited:

trooperdude

Database Admin
rooivalk said:
SFPD's radio system is horrible, so I don't know how the powers-that-be can make this work correctly when the City can't get its own radio system working correctly.

One of the big selling points when SF went to the trunked system was "interoperability" yet that never transpired.

What problems are they having ?

It sounds ok when I'm up there visiting.

Dead spots, or quality issues ?

The allstar game at the Giant's stadium was the first REAL test of interopreability, and the patch between SF Trunk system and the San Mateo County Green seemed to work reasonably well.

trooperdude

Database Admin
qc said:
I have not found any website for it yet. but the name of the system mite be. the Bay Area Tactical Emergency Communications System (BARTECS)? or Bay Area Public Safety Interoperable Communications Initiative

Thanks

Like I said, it was on an FBI website last year, but all of the documents have been
put behind a password url now.

All of the regions were there, not just SF Bay Area and the pdf's were fairly
detailed. I saved a few back then when they were public domain.

I'll try to find the link again from the federal monitoring thread here at RR.

Status
Not open for further replies.